Software for FLAC to ALAC Conversion
Nov 1, 2010 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
Please help me to find a FREE quality program for converting CD audio to FLAC to ALAC...

I am trying to avoid downloading lots of multi-media packages because I already have AHEAD/NERO 8 Essentials. I don't want to download a full suite of programs - just a simple conversion program that is reliable and produces high quality sound!

Any ideas?

Sorry but I am new to the world of headphone listening - since I got married!! No quiet time to use my B & W speakers!!

Cheers for helping! 

Nov 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 12
With the right codecs, I'm fairly sure Exact Audio Copy does the job. But just to FLAC or ALAC. To go from FLAC to ALAC, as another suggested, use dbPower Amp.

Why do you need both? Why not just go to one or the other? I'm guessing you use a Mac? They don't read FLAC files anyway.. o.O

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 12
Well - I use Windows - and I use itunes with my ipod classic - but i downloaded some FLAC files and wanted to convert them so I could listen to them on itunes/ipod...

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 12
However, I do wonder how to stop itunes from pausing for a few seconds between tracks. For instance, long pieces of classical music that are continuous but were broken down into separate tracks are a pain in the ass with itunes...I heard something about using  FLAC files through dBpoweramp - and then being able to avoid this problem when doing a conversion into ALAC for itunes

Anybody heard of that??  

Nov 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 12
try QUEtools...works great. is really simple, and it can do track splits, with any spacing in between, or even take out the track splits by simply turning off the option to split tracks up.  so you could put those classical pieces back together theoretically.   great little program....make sure you get the latest version (2.0.9. I believe)

Quote:
However, I do wonder how to stop itunes from pausing for a few seconds between tracks. For instance, long pieces of classical music that are continuous but were broken down into separate tracks are a pain in the ass with itunes...I heard something about using  FLAC files through dBpoweramp - and then being able to avoid this problem when doing a conversion into ALAC for itunes

Anybody heard of that??  

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 12

oh, and also, itunes has a setting for how much time is elapsed between tracks...pretty sure you can turn on gapless playback in itunes and get the same result.....

Quote:

Anybody heard of that??  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back