Software-fi
Jul 18, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #47 of 51
That is one (of many) reason(s) to install XP on your MBP
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reviving this thread!

I just got my MBP, and am thirsty for more apps!

I am not sure if foobar can be run on OSX. If not, that makes me really sad.

Welcome to "Team Apple"...
foobar2000 is MS Windows only (blame the developer). It will run through Darwine, but it will not be error free.

I have tried all alternatives out there, but ended up sticking with iTunes. You are somewhat limited regarding codecs/formats. But far from that its really nice imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is one (of many) reason(s) to install XP on your MBP
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh please!
tongue.gif

Switching from the lovely (imo) Mac OS X to the horrible (still imo) MS Windows XP just for the sake of an audio player... Better off finding a suitable native OS X audio player.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #49 of 51
^^ Thanks for the info Krmathis.

I could see frederiks suggestion of going xp for foobar. I finally set up my foobar the way I want it on my thinkpad, and I am sad that I can't have it on my nice new machine. Oh well, at least I have it somewhere. Itunes for mbp it is.

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #50 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to "Team Apple"...
Oh please!
tongue.gif

Switching from the lovely (imo) Mac OS X to the horrible (still imo) MS Windows XP just for the sake of an audio player... Better off finding a suitable native OS X audio player.

No pun intended
smily_headphones1.gif

I do not know a great deal about OSX, but I think it should be run emulators like Wine and VMWare on OSX. Wine works great on Debian which is a real *cough*nerdy*cough* Linux distro. I believe VMWare has a specific program for running Windows apps under OSX just cannot remember the name
rolleyes.gif

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #51 of 51
Uhm, this is shareware but it's relevant to the immediate discussion.

Audio Hijack Pro in combination with iTunes might be able to do everything that foobar can with Audio Units. That's a huge assumptions as I've never used foobar. It was recently updated and it's dead solid now. Previously, I heard popping under heavy CPU load.

I use it with a 31-band EQ and Canz 3d (crossfeed plug-in). There are tons of VST and AU plug-ins. It also accepts LADSPA whatever that is.

ingwe, it would work out great for ripping your vinyl collection too.

As for freeware, checkout SoundSource. Not sure it was mentioned already but it's great if you have an external DAC. Makes it easy to switch back and forth between all your IO hardware.

Vmware Fusion is great, but for audio? That's a bit ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back