Software-fi
Jun 4, 2008 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

FrederikS|TPU

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys and Girls,

Seeing all of these -fi threads made me realize that we need a software-fi thread. If you got a great program that is freeware that you think can be of some use to others post it in this thread with a short description so that people can find what they are looking for quickly.

So basically what I am hoping is that everyone will make their own little contribution to this thread, anything you might find helpful goes.

I will start off, by introducing some programs made by a friend of mine.

ATITool is a overclocking / monitoring / stress testing program that works on pretty much every GFX I have ever come across. The program is under constant development and is update regularly to meet the demands of the users. You can read much more about it here: ATITool - Overclocking utility for ATI and NVIDIA cards

GPU-Z Video card GPU information. This little application is great if you need to find out what GFX is in your machine. It can also measure temps and allows you to uploade screen shots and validate your overclock. All of the information you share when uploading your results goes into the the statistics database and is used to generate the small overview that you can see at the start of the main page, it is still a BETA program which means that you might encounter some bugs: GPU-Z Video card GPU Information Utility

TPUCapture, now this is a sweet little program that I cannot live without. It allows you to customize the way your PC handles the "Print Screen" function. It is even integrated into TPU's own image hosting service so that you can upload screen dumps directly from the program. You can do a lot in it, for example makes a highlight on the fly, or just take a screen shot of either active window or the stuff you have highlighted. Link to the site: TPUCapture - See, Capture, Upload

I do not think I need to say this, but it is FREEWARE only, no warez, hacks, malware, illegally obtained software or anything else like that. Keep it clean and hopefully helpful to others who might stumble upon this thread.

Cheers,
Frederik

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 51
These are nice:

VLC
Foobar
CCleaner
Album Art Aggregator

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 51
I like

Amarok for music
Totem for video
Pidgin for IM
Gimp for Image Editing
Urban Terror for fast paced gaming

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #6 of 51
  1. Unicode Keyboard 1.2 (Must have if you speak different languages, it's a real blessing for me because I speak english/french and german) Type Unicode Characters and Accented Characters on US Keyboard Easily with Unicode Keyboard
  2. FreeLaunchBar (free) or TrueLaunchBar (shareware) *my real REAL GOLDEN PROGZ eheh* (Free Launch Bar - Free replacement for standard Quick Launch)
  3. PerfectDisk® 2008 Professional
  4. Foxit Reader (Foxit Software)
  5. MSN Messenger w/ MessPatch (remove adds and a lot more: Mess with Windows Live and MSN Messenger: download free msn animated emoticons, names, etc.)
  6. Weather Watcher (http://www.singerscreations.com/AboutWeatherWatcher.asp)
  7. Mirc 6.3 (mIRC: Download mIRC)
  8. Alcohol 120%
  9. UltraIso
  10. BurnAware
  11. CCleaner and Window Washer
  12. Firefox w/ NoScript addon
  13. JAP and TOR (JAP -- ANONYMITY & PRIVACY)
  14. Myuninstaller (nirsoft) MyUninstaller: Alternative to the standard Windows Add / Remove module
  15. Feedreader (Free RSS reader / RSS platform for enterprise grade solutions | Feedreader.com)
  16. Unlocker
  17. Winamp w/ gen_lyrics (Lyrics Plugin)
  18. Sanboxie (Sandboxie - Sandbox software for application isolation and secure Web browsing)
  19. Sygate Firewall Pro
  20. Kaspersky 7 Anti-Virus
  21. Office 2007
  22. Antidote RX v6 (french corrector)
  23. IrfanView (best image viewer!)

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 51
The Best Free Software - Reviews by PC Magazine

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #8 of 51
Zathan. I think you missed this part of the OP's post.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not think I need to say this, but it is FREEWARE only

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks krmathis those Mac apps are really nice!

Indeed! I love them all.
They just happen to be open-source as well. Coincidence? Hardly.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 51
The following are for Windows:
  1. Launchy, a keystroke app launcher--easily one of my favorites. (Freeware.)
  2. XNeat lets you rearrange taskbar items (immensely useful to me, as I place my currently most-in-use tasks to the upper-left of my two-row taskbar); and also lets you keep certain windows on top (with or without transparency), and more. (Freeware.)
  3. Comfort Clipboard Pro, which is the best clipboard manager I've used so far (let's you keep oft-used items you'd want to keep handy in a clipboard in a favorites area for quick reference, and supports all clippable formats). (Shareware.)
b.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back