Software Equalizer
Sep 29, 2012 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TGTBATQ

Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm sincerely sorry if this isn't the correct place to ask this.
I just wanted to know if there are any software (i don't mind it being paid, I will pay for it if it will help) equalizers that will equalize -ALL- audio on my pc, not just from foobar/itunes.
I also listen to Pandora, so I want something to equalize that as well, so basically just have it on all the time.
Alternatively, if there aren't any good softwares that will do what I need, i'm also open to buying a physical equalizer and use it as a preamp or something, but I'm pretty clueless on what is good and what is not, so could someone give me some recommendations if that is the best route to go?
Thank you so much!

TGT

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 5
The only software way to do this would be to either buy a soundcard which has an EQ with it OR then you have to have the following setup: 

- Virtual Audio Cable (costs a little)
- A VST host software, I've tested VSTHost and recommend using that
- A VST Equalizer, the best free EQ which I concider very good for that is Electri-Q Posihfopit edition

Virtual Audio Cable works like an output device which seems to be a lossless "stream", I can confirm it sounding very high quality, I was very doubtful that a 3rd party software like this would be able to sound great like that but yea I don't hear this sounding any different than using WASAPI in foobar2000 really.

To get it working do following:

1. Put Virtual Audio Cable as standard sound output device in windows control panel
2. In the VSThost program you can add the VST EQ between the "Engine Input" and "Engine Output" and whatever other VST plugin you may fancy
3. Go to Devices -> Wave and select MME: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) as input and your normally used output device as the output port. 
4. Tweak the buffer setting on that same config window, the lower you can use the lower latency, I'd try there around 630 - 525 if possible depending on your computer, if it's set too low the playback will sound distorted (like clipping kind of distortion) so you have to listen to your ears to determine where it stops playing the output cleanly.

With this there's a bit latency but if getting the buffer setting down low enough like in my case 525 which I concider fairly usable for about anything, also gaming.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
The only software way to do this would be to either buy a soundcard which has an EQ with it OR then you have to have the following setup: 

- Virtual Audio Cable (costs a little)
- A VST host software, I've tested VSTHost and recommend using that
- A VST Equalizer, the best free EQ which I concider very good for that is Electri-Q Posihfopit edition

Virtual Audio Cable works like an output device which seems to be a lossless "stream", I can confirm it sounding very high quality, I was very doubtful that a 3rd party software like this would be able to sound great like that but yea I don't hear this sounding any different than using WASAPI in foobar2000 really.

To get it working do following:

1. Put Virtual Audio Cable as standard sound output device in windows control panel
2. In the VSThost program you can add the VST EQ between the "Engine Input" and "Engine Output" and whatever other VST plugin you may fancy
3. Go to Devices -> Wave and select MME: Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable) as input and your normally used output device as the output port. 
4. Tweak the buffer setting on that same config window, the lower you can use the lower latency, I'd try there around 630 - 525 if possible depending on your computer, if it's set too low the playback will sound distorted (like clipping kind of distortion) so you have to listen to your ears to determine where it stops playing the output cleanly.

With this there's a bit latency but if getting the buffer setting down low enough like in my case 525 which I concider fairly usable for about anything, also gaming.

Thanks so much for the help, i'm looking into it as we speak!
Do you know of any physical equalizers that would be able to get the job done nicely? I don't want to purchase a piece of junk if I go that route :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a 31 band per channel by Acoustic Research Technologies (ART) goes for $189. It is really great for fixing problems with older recordings made during the days whae there was litlle, if any, tape noise noise reduction. Plus, sound properties of amps and headphones can be manipulated to you taste.

The 15 band version on Amazon goes for $109.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back