Software EQ's that don't distort?
Apr 12, 2011 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

WaveRider69

100+ Head-Fier
Does such a thing exist?  I've tried Winamp, Foobar, Media Monkey, Helium..  The only EQ that doesn't distort is that of my Xonar Essence STX audio center controls.  So that rules out my headphones & FLAC files.  But I took it out because I'm going to sell it as I want better stuff and external.  Right now running a FiiO E9 with E7 on the way to compliment it.  It's not the amp or the gain either.  Third party software EQ's always sound like crap even through my Essence.  I really need a good software EQ because I am spoiled from Expensive club systems and not even $600 headphones give me the sound I crave, but a good EQ definitely does.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 45
Purportedly there is.
I wouldn't know.
There's the Sonnox Oxford EQ Native which is okay.

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 45
Get Electri-Q and call it a day
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 45
This looks like it has great reviews, what player can I use this with?
Quote:
Purportedly there is.
I wouldn't know.
There's the Sonnox Oxford EQ Native which is okay.

Ahh yes, ok I'm trying this and so far it's working pretty good, I can go up to +8dB without distortion, perhaps it will allow me to go higher & maintain the clarity once I get the better DAC back in place?

Quote:
Get Electri-Q and call it a day
wink.gif

Of course yes.  I've been having to resort to this method but I'm finding that it's just not the same.  Theoretically it should be right, as long as I supply enough juice, but even though I can achieve the frequency curve I desire this way, by moving them all below zero I can't seem to get the same hard attack & aggression from the lower bands using this method.

Quote:
Bit surprised to hear that they all distort.
A common error is to use the EQ to boost the signal e.g. raising the bass.
This can result in digital clipping.
The bass can also be boosted by lowering the other frequencies.
This avoids clipping

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #6 of 45
Which ever play, but you need something to load it with.  In foobar's case, you need the VST Host plugin to load it with.  uLilith natively supports VST plugins.  =]

Some EQs distort the sound even if you just have it on but without doing anything (i.e. flat setting or what have you).  The Sonnox, for example, slightly kills fidelity and reduces soundstage notcieably even if you are not attenuating or boosting anything.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 45
Here's another one you can try:

http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-equalizer/

I have not used the equalizer, but I have tried their TB Isone product for crossfeed purposes.

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 45
I yet have to find a software EQ that would work equally great as the hardware-based DSP EQ found in the custom kX Audio driver software for Audigy soundcards, I can literally use 2 or even 3 EQs at same time and boost to top without getting distortion or clipping, only the volume will get that much louder like I'd be using a software amp. EQs for the soundcards tend to work better in my experience. Somehow I ever doubt I'd find any software EQ that wouldn't sound very bad with a config like this for example:

:D

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 45
My favorite current equalizer is PSP Neon HR linear phase equalizer. Sounds absolutely fantastic. I haven't discerned any distortion which is normal for high end equalizers. I also haven't discerning any annoying EQ "whooshing" effects yet.

Also tried the KVR Sonoris, but liking the PSP Neon HR more right now.  Sonoris seems to have more phasing problems but I think it'll take me more time to discern the benefits of minimal phase and linear phasing.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 45
That PSP Neon HR linear phase equalizer only seems to operate within range -9 to +9 though, doesn't it? I know that should be more than enough but I don't see the point in limiting the user, not for a 3rd party non-free equalizer, should be at least -12 to +12 but preferable -20 to +20 IMO. It's not uncommon for me to use up to like +15 on my nicely working "software amp"-like EQ. :p

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #11 of 45
That PSP Neon HR linear phase equalizer only seems to operate within range -9 to +9 though, doesn't it? I know that should be more than enough but I don't see the point in limiting the user, not for a 3rd party non-free equalizer, should be at least -12 to +12 but preferable -20 to +20 IMO. It's not uncommon for me to use up to like +15 on my nicely working "software amp"-like EQ. :p

Neon HR operates in a range of +24 to -24 db. You can zoom in and out of the adjustment display to get more or less surgical.

I do find that the Cowon BBE still offers alot more with better enhancements but the PSP Neon HR might actually be a better sounding EQ as a straight forward EQ compared to Cowon's normal parametric one. The fact that I can use my Anedio DAC, which has MUCH larger soundstage than the Cowon, with PSP is making the comparison difficult.... it's just on a different level of refinement.

I still need to use the equalizers more to be certain of anything, but tax season is keeping me too busy without weekends. Maybe I'll get more use out of them after this month

Apr 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 45
All you need to do is adjust the precut downwards. Overall volume will diminish but clipping will disappear.

In Electri-Q it's the bar on the right.

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 45
There is no perfect software EQ. They all distort or smear the sound if not used properly....some more than others. Also, EQ'ing will not get rid of clipping. Once the audio signal clips, it has lost its peak and is nearly impossible to restore properly without additional know-how and specialized tools. Anyway.....

The best software EQ I have used are the following, in no particular order...:

Algorithmix Red
Refined Audiometrics PLParEQ
Algorithmix Blue
Oxford
UAD Precision EQ

These EQ's, IMHO, are top notch mastering grade digital EQ's. They each have their benefits but all of them sound fantastic and all of them give excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back