soft piano music?
Jul 1, 2004 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
I was hoping someone could recommend me some good piano music on the soft side. preferably no vocals either. All i have in that catagory is "the Frail" by Nine inch nails of the CD "the fragile" and the piano solo in that remix of Clubbed to death by rob dougan on the matrix soundtrack. any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
-AJ

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 20
Any final fantasy piano albums are ok to listen to no matter if you've played the games or not, if it's soft piano music you're looking for.

Jul 1, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 20
Gymnopedies by Eric Satie or the Chopin Nocturnes.

Jul 1, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 20
Debussy's Clair De Lune !!!!!!

This is one of the prettiest pieces of piano music ever composed. If you've ever seen the remake of Ocean's Eleven with Brad Pitt and George Clooney. Clair De Lune is the music that's playing in the background as the gang is admiring they feat in front of the Belagio fountain.

Jul 1, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 20
If you can tolerate soft piano that borders on the minimal side, then have a look at Disc 2 on Dehli9 by Tosca. I like putting it on just before I turn-in for the evening. Disc 1 is a great disc in its own right, although it is completely different and to Disc 2 and much more representative of the Tosca "sound".

Jul 2, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 20
Chopin is a bit heavier but very nice,

For light music i recomend "Richard Clayderman", lots of very nice work by this guy and very easy on the ears and mind.

Jul 2, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Gymnopedies by Eric Satie or the Chopin Nocturnes.

for the gymnopedies, i would recommend you get anything by pascal roge. a recital album including the gnossienes would be perfect - they are his major works. do note however that minimalistic pieces he composed may not be for everyone.

for the chopin i would recommend the 2cd set on rca by arthur rubinstein. nothing out now beats that for performance and recording quality. a little expensive maybe, but well worth the cost imo.

cool.gif

Jul 2, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 20
The soundtrack to Amelie has a lot of great piano pieces by Yann Tiersen. I was lucky enough to pick up some sheet music for it while I was in France a while back, and it's great (though the recordings are obviously a lot better than I can play 'em
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 3, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by phkd
I was hoping someone could recommend me some good piano music on the soft side. preferably no vocals either.

Hi phkd,

Keith Jarrett: The Melody At Night, With You. (ECM 1675 314547949-2)

On this one Keith is almost voiceless....

Amicalement

Jul 3, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 20
Another vote for classical! If you're not ready for a whole double CD of Chopin or Satie, there are lots of decent "Classical piano moods" disks that'll get you started and include Chopin, Debussy, Satie, and other famous "quieter" piano music.

Jul 3, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
If you can tolerate soft piano that borders on the minimal side, then have a look at Disc 2 on Dehli9 by Tosca. I like putting it on just before I turn-in for the evening. Disc 1 is a great disc in its own right, although it is completely different and to Disc 2 and much more representative of the Tosca "sound".

Tosca is just so fantastic.

Although their acid jazz is what I dig more
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back