Soft custom IEMs for sports and sweaty use. Please advise.
Feb 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bigman7903

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

I signed up about 2 years ago and ended up getting a pair of Sleek Audio CT6's.  I'm very happy with the advice from the members here and my dealings with Sleek were excellent.  The CT6's sound awesome, and I really enjoy them...

except that I still am not entirely happy with them.  I bought them with athletics in mind (cardio, lifting, working outside, etc.) and realized that I would be abusing them.  I found that I could not get a good seal on the hard acrylic.  I got them remolded, I used a hard enamel paint, clear fingernail polish, puffy paint, anything I could do to get a good seal.  I found that I could get a solid seal with the right ear without doing much of anything, but the left ear continued to be fincky regardless of all of my attempts.  Not to mention the issue of sweat dripping into the ear.  I use them occasionally while studying or other activity where I'm not moving, but I found the acrylic to be too hard, uncomfortable for more than 45 min of use, and the loss of seal to be a large pain in the rear.

I ended up buying another 3-5 pairs of inexpensive (i.e. $50) iems and have been using Meelectronics M6's with good results in the gym when using the triple flange tips.  

Well, I'm tired of running through a pair every 4 months when I inevitably have to buy new tips or break the metal retaining wire.  I was looking into getting something nicer with a custom molded soft ear piece (similar to what you see on over the ear hearing aids).  In my mind, the soft tips would solve most of my problems with fit and maybe help with the sweat.  

I know that etymotics makes the custom soft IEM sleeves, but I can't seem to find anything (searching online and through these forums) aimed towards athletics and sweat resistance.  

Requirements:
No more than 200 shipped
Something fairly rugged concerning the monitor itself
Material of the earpiece ought to be soft and hopefully last a while (I'm hoping 3-5 years if I take care of them)
Over the ear wiring position

Suggestions, advice, sorry you're better off just using inexpensive IEMs as disposables? 

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 4
Subscribed!

I'm also wondering if they is any top iem's suitable for sport. Sweat resistant, good fit. Customs?

I'm basically looking for the same thing (only, I won't mind paying a lot if it is very good...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back