"Soft" cans
Sep 23, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Some people get tinnitus form bass too.

I got a pressure problem in my ears because of the bass, my ears often feel like I'm diving after listening to songs for a while.

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
I would also advise against an HD 650 for someone who has sensitive hearing. It is non-fatiguing but the dip in the upper midrange and lack of dynamics at low volumes only encourage volume-cranking.

The "dip in the upper midrange" is what makes the perceived mid-treble response linear and non-aggressive nor harsh like so many 'phones, thus preventing listening fatigue.

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by basb
Even though you weren't impressed by the hd600, i think they're the best for your situation. I have both the hd600 and the stax lambda pro, and the sennheiser is slightly less fatigueing in my setup (i also have mild tinnitus).
I never heard the hd650, but i bought the hd600 because everyone said it's a better low-volume performer.

In my opinion too, the very best headphones have to be perfect low volume performers. Too much emphasis on the dynamics would ruin a headphone's performance in that category. I think that's the only problem I have with the KSC75, as they need to be twice as loud as my HD555 for them to be listenable. At the same volumes as my HD555, I would only hear some bass and some treble, no mids at all! That sounds funky, but "oh-so-bad" for your ears! For the same reasons, from now on, I'd rather recommend a MDR-XD200 anytime over a KSC75. Midrange is important, folks!
eggosmile.gif

People complain that Sennheiser headphones are boring, well, they are relaxed, extremely smooth, classical sounding headphones. The sound of perfection. I never had any sign of ear fatigue with my HD555 on, and probably ever will... I'm sure the HD600 can do wonders to your ears...

Sep 23, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff.h
[...]
So please, if you guys have any helpful suggestions (maybe even an amplifier that would help the situation?), I would love to hear them
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,

From my experience the K240S are wonderfuly easy on the ears. HD650 are great but the bass slam is stronger than on K240S - I don't think HD650 would be good for someone with tinitus. HD600 seem to be a bit easier than HD650. K701 are also very nice but, again, their treble response may not be suitable for someone with tinitus. I definitely prefer K240S over any other headphones when I am tired and want to relax to the quiet sounds of music.

Did you try IEMs? Theoretically ear-plug type headphones isolate noise and therefore one can comfortably listen to music at very low volume levels without compromising the quality of sound. For example, the Shure E4 sound really well - they are very well balanced and neutral, and the sound quality is on par with HD6x0s (well, not exacly as good as Sennheisers but still very nice).

Take care!
Peter

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #20 of 20
Well I've since just become very concious of the volumes I listen at. Since those Stax would run me around $1000, my reasoning is not spend past a certain point unless I'm going all the way. In the middle upgrades tend to be a waste of money and consoling only for your wallet, not for your ears. Hence, if I were going to spend that kind of money, I'd just as well cough up the extra and get Omega II's/007.

But I'm not gonna do that :p What I will probably do is just go buy some HD600's quite soon. I don't think I'll listen to them again first, just purchase them blindly with the knowledge I can have those cans to fall back on when my ears are feeling extra sensitive. My memory of them is exactly what you guys have stated so far, I found them to be extremely smooth and unoffensive.
Thanks for your suggestions guys, they have been most reassuring
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back