So you have your heaphones. What song gives you that 'feeling' when you use them?
Jul 26, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #31 of 45
Pink Floyd - Two Suns in the Sunset, Final Cut
Creates a vision, works to a crescendo, sets you gently back in the front seat of the imaginary vehicle and off you go into the sunset.
cool.gif

Allison Krauss and Union Station - Tribute to Peador O'Donnell & The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn
Incredible Dobro especially through the HD600's. Jerry Douglas's playing ooze’s with emotion throughout the performance.

Jul 26, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #32 of 45
Dave Matthews Band -- "Bartender" (from the album Busted Stuff)

and "Crash Into Me" (from the album Crash)

"Crash Into Me" is actually my benchmark...I am looking into getting gear that will make that song sound even better and more realistic
600smile.gif

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Dave Matthews Band -- "Bartender" (from the album Busted Stuff)

and "Crash Into Me" (from the album Crash)

"Crash Into Me" is actually my benchmark...I am looking into getting gear that will make that song sound even better and more realistic
600smile.gif

Yep Dave Matthews has some really great stuff, the mastering is nice and clean, my friend 1911 uses Crash as his reference track too.

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #35 of 45
sr-125: To Bid You Farewell - Opeth
dt770: Mondoshawan - 5th Element Soundtrack
hd-590: Kid A - Radiohead
hd-580: String Quartet in C-Sharp Minor - Beethoven/BoB Soundtrack
A900: In the Shadow of our Pale Companion - Agalloch
ER-4p: Patterns in the Ivy - Opeth
ksc-35: 46 & 2 - Tool

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChemist
Radiohead - There There is the song that really makes me 'feel it.' There are a few RH songs I like more, but this is the only one that has ever made me, well

:looks around room nervously:

cried.

:|

The music moved you man. Nuff said.

Down In A Hole - AIC does it for me, everytime. I can be on a subway, at home, or at work, when that song comes on, it's usually foillowed by a big ole lump in the throat, especially on DT880's driven through tubes...

Jul 27, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #37 of 45
SO much floyd make me love my v6s

Echoes is the best one
but shine on you crazy diamond part one, with that guitar solo (damn i wish i could play that), thats an incredible song

wish you were here is also another one, first song i learned to play all the way through (exept solos).

and time, of course, which i do enjoy more through my c-1s/atlas 15

other songs would be
interpol, stella was a diver and she was always down, great late night song, or a good song if youve been experimenting with herbs so to speak*not sure if mention of this is allowed on forums*

henrix's machine gun and voodoochile also sound good.

FRANK ZAPPA, cant forget him, touble every day and muffin man are both spectacular on a good set of cans.

...god theres too much to mention!

OH and cant forget ska, sound system or i got no by operation ivy both put a smile on my face and get me skankin!

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #38 of 45
It's goofy stuff, but I love listening to Rhapsody on my x5 + Super.Fi5Pros.

About a million layered tracks, screaming guitars, orchestras, oscillating synths- played at about 500mph... Doesn't get any better. My favs are 'Rage of the Winter' and 'Lord of the Thunder'.

I also have to add Avenged Sevelfold's 'Strength of the World'. Easily one of the best sounding recording i've ever heard.

Aug 19, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #39 of 45
I've been recently listening to "#41" by Dave Matthews Band on their album Crash.

This track my be my new favorite reference track. The opening portion of the song is great for testing crispness and speed of highs (with the hi-hat and cymbal crashes) as well as tightness, control, and punchiness of bass. The song later adds layers of instruments and complexity, also for your soundstaging evalution pleasure.

I'm a sucker for hi-hat and cymbals, so I really love this track
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #40 of 45
On nearly any setup I've listened on, I get that 'feeling' on:

Iron Maiden - The Clairvoyant (during the verses)
Living Colour - Time's Up (the guitar solo)
Guns and Roses - Sweet Child of Mine (the guitar solo)
Dream Theater - Home (main riff after final chorus)

That's all I can think of at the moment but I know there are others.

Aug 19, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #43 of 45
I can think of a number but the ones I test "feeling" with are usually:

The Allman Brothers Band - Eat A Peach - Melissa
Diana Krall - Live In Paris - Just The Way You Are
Allison Krauss & Union Station - Live - When You Say Nothing At All
Counting Crows - August And Everything After - Anna Begins
Lynyrd Skynyrd - One More From The Road - Simple Man
Kenny Loggins - Return To Pooh Corner - The Horses

If I make it through those songs on a new headphone without being moved I don't even bother trying to listen to any of the more critical tracks. If a headphone passes on those tracks I can overlook a lot of other flaws. The 595s do the best job on all of these tracks for me so far. The 225s do a pretty good job on a couple but I still don't get the same feeling with them that I get from the Senns. We'll see what the next headphone brings.....

Ant

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #44 of 45
I'm a total newbie, so everything I listen to on my new cans gives me that 'Sounds Perfect!' feeling.

So far a few standouts have been:

Amon Tobin - Slowly
Boards of Canada - Turquoise Hexagon Sun
Portishead - Biscuit
Beastie Boys - Shake Your Rump
Nirvana - Lake of Fire

And I've barely dented my 'must listen to' list.

Aug 20, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #45 of 45
Let It Be - The Beatles "Let It Be...Naked"

I liked the original, but the remastered, de-Spectorized version just seems right. Those background vocals and organ melody seem richer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back