So you have golden ears? are you sure? good distortion hearing test inside.
Mar 22, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #76 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim D
Keep in mind those test db figures do not really correlate to anything because you can technically amplify or attenuate the signal to make it easier or harder to hear. Of course it gets tricky when there is another signal masking the distortion, but the brain is quite proficient at selective filtering when trained.

But you can easily hear the technically perfect and ideal noise floor limit of 16-bit audio of about -95-96 db when aggressively amped by a quality amplifier for example. But assuming you aren't really amping or attenuating anything, the source material is somehow perfectly recorded and played back at exact levels, -96db noise floor is going to be pretty much impossible to hear.

Indeed, very hard to hear. If amped up to where 0 dB (on recording level) is 130 dB to the ears then -96 dB (on recording level) would be 34 dB to the ears. Most definitly inmpossible to hear while any program sound is going on.

What is the noise floor of 24-bit audio?

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #77 of 166
Ah what a difference a decent source/can makes. I took it once on my work machine early today with onboard audio and my ol' hd525s (hey, they actually make that crappy source sound reasonable, don't shoot
wink.gif
), and only got to -12. Took it once at home tonight with Revo/HD595s and hit -33 easy.

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:33 PM Post #79 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
I got a better score after i cleaned my ears.
blink.gif

Damn, so thats why I only got a -15 dB score!

Mar 22, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #80 of 166
The psychoacoustic model of the MP3 encoding may mess the samples and the (intended) distortion a bit and since the model is just a model, it may be very different for different ears.

Got to -18dB using speakers and later got -24dB with HD555 (plugged straight into the EMU).

Mar 22, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #82 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rotareneg
Oddly enough, I did signficantly better with my Altec Lansing ACS-56 speakers than with my Total Airhead and SR-80's or HD-600's, source was a SBLive.

SB Live & AL ACS-56es doing better than TA/SR80 & HD600s! Everybody look out for the Armageddon!

Mar 22, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #83 of 166
Equipment quality really makes a difference for this test. My portable setup got to -18db, my home setup got me to -30db. (See sig). Is this what the test is proving? Whats the point of the test, if results change so much based on setup?

Mar 22, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #86 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie
A pair of multimedia speakers and some mediocre sound card brought me to 45db.

blink.gif

That's not even in the valid range... Unless you meant -45db. Now if this was with a pair of laptop speakers, that'd be saying something.

Mar 22, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #87 of 166
Connected to my $50 Logitech 2.1 speakers which are plugged into the minijack on of my G5, my Panasonic HJE50 owned up :p All you other suckers have to put up with either distortion or high bit rate songs that take up space
etysmile.gif
redface.gif

Picturesuck.jpg

Mar 23, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #88 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by __redruM
That's not even in the valid range... Unless you meant -45db. Now if this was with a pair of laptop speakers, that'd be saying something.

Of course I meant negative.

I think if someone could do that with laptop speakers, they'd have ears of some super rare space metal rather than just gold.

Nov 8, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #89 of 166
Looking though old posting.. I got a -30 with UE10s and 1212m. I figure if I took it a second time I would do better. Interesting though. I think if I focused on the organ and not the guitar, I would have done better.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #90 of 166
attachment.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back