So Who's Getting an iPhone?
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #211 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have some kind of beef with Apple. Picsel browser is just another web browser that lets you zoom in and pan, just like Opera desktop can. There's nothing special about that. Surely you're not claiming Apple "ripped off" the concept of zooming and panning?

But it's Apple fan boys that love to think it's so special just because Apple does it now. Long after it's already been done before.

Quote:

What makes the iPhone browser compelling is that these interactions are tangible. And this is cutting edge stuff. The professors who brought Fingerworks' technology to Apple, which later got integrated into the iPhone, did the bulk of their work just two and a half years ago. Jeff Han's multitouch research work that caused such a sensation is only roughly a year old. It's a credit to the innovation being done at Apple that the iPhone was well under development by the time Jeff Han's stuff hit the news.

Well, you'll need to be able to play with your fingers or some other gizmo while you wait and wait and wait for a webpage to load.
rolleyes.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4yqwy1nm2A

-Ed

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #217 of 257
have been pushing my new 8gig for 48 hours now.. I must say, its exceeding my expectations, in almost every category. The interface has to be tried to be believed. Its a work of art and so far totally seemless from one function to the next. In my area of So Cal I dont find ATT to be any better or worse than Verizon from what I see thus far. I can say the Edge network is useable just not the same experience as WiFi... but then 90% of the time I am WiFi so no issues.

IMO its worth the cost of admission, this is the slickest gadget that I have ever purchased and I have bought just about them all in the past 20 years.

Only drag that I have to this point, is a need for an adapter to use my E500s, but that is solved easy enough.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #218 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
perhaps he meant to post it in the "vegas is so hot I have to run at 2:00am" thread

No, I think Ken is still waiting in line
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #219 of 257
would have bought one if i wasn't still tethered to my *(&#*&$( verizon contract. and yes, i know that i'd now be making a new deal with the at&t devil for two years...but at least i'd have a cool gadget to play with. my motorola phone sucks big time.

yes, $600 is a lot to pay for a phone...but the cost of ownership over two years is significantly less than other plans using other smart phones (treo, blackberry, etc.)...i figure by next january we'll see some increases in memory and possibly a camera update. just in time for me to get the iphone as my verizon contract expires...woohoo!

Jul 6, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #222 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes, $600 is a lot to pay for a phone...but the cost of ownership over two years is significantly less than other plans using other smart phones (treo, blackberry, etc.)...i figure by next january we'll see some increases in memory and possibly a camera update. just in time for me to get the iphone as my verizon contract expires...woohoo!

I pay $30/month and get more minutes and unlimited data and texting. But I'm not with Verizon or AT&T. Cost of ownership is way too high for me to consider the iPhone, let alone the fact that surfing the internet would be much slower. If I wanted to use wifi all the time, I'd stick with my ultraportable laptop/tablet PC. But that said, I use my phone as a modem and surf at near DSL speeds, no need to steal other's bandwidth.

-Ed

Jul 6, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #225 of 257
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I pay $30/month and get more minutes and unlimited data and texting. But I'm not with Verizon or AT&T. Cost of ownership is way too high for me to consider the iPhone, let alone the fact that surfing the internet would be much slower. If I wanted to use wifi all the time, I'd stick with my ultraportable laptop/tablet PC. But that said, I use my phone as a modem and surf at near DSL speeds, no need to steal other's bandwidth.

-Ed

sure, ed, there are certainly many ways to do it cheaper and if you're not going to use certain features then it's not the right phone for you. i think t-mobile has cheaper voice/data plans, but t-mobile has even spottier service than at&t. i'm not saying the iphone is a panacea for all cell phone ills...it's just not as cost-prohibitive as some are led to believe based on sheer phone price...nor is it as grand as others are purporting.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back