so who likes arcade fire?
Oct 8, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 28
I think this album will stick around for a while. I don't think that it will be a classic either, however. Its a very good album and deserves a listen even in the end you don't like it. The saying is a cliche i know but there is no accounting for taste.

Oct 8, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #17 of 28
I agree with the MEH. The album was pretty good, but it didnt hold my interest for long. Waiting for their next release
smily_headphones1.gif

The cd case was quite awesome though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnine
I agree with the MEH. The album was pretty good, but it didnt hold my interest for long. Waiting for their next release
smily_headphones1.gif

The cd case was quite awesome though
smily_headphones1.gif

the LP jacket is also very nice. It more or less like the cd case but record size. The embossed silver line is soothing to run your fingers across.

Oct 8, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #19 of 28
I discovered Arcade Fire "Funeral" this past January. It was cold and I was inside listening to music a lot. I just listened to it regularly and got this album into my brain in a big way. I know that it was released in September 2004, but for me it feels like a 2005 album. In any case "Funeral" is certainly in the Top 5 of my 2005 discoveries. I love it and find new reasons to like it with each listen. I am anxious to see if Arcade Fire's next release can come close to "Funeral." I'm thinking they could do it...
confused.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #21 of 28
I caught their show on Friday. It was a rousing experience that didn't rock so much but still entertained with a lot of attitude. It felt like going to a theater festival with a heavy rhythm section, some classical instruments, a heavenly choir, and much smashing of the props. Everyone in the crowd sang along on cue through a good part of the show. It felt good. It was like a party on the stage when they invited the 2nd opening act back for the last songs. Everyone was dancing around up there and having a good time. They sure didn't look like jaded rock stars the way they smiled. The crowd was totally captivated. I guess that's why they were brave enough to close by doing a pied piper routine through the crowd as we exited. That was mucho coolo.

Oct 9, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Some of the lyrics are a bit trite at this stage, but some are pretty good too.

I could see how some would consider some of the lyrics trite. But to me, when one considers the mood of Funeral - wide eyed innocence and all. The content is appropriate.

Arcade Fire reminds me of The Cloud Cult in this regard. Both bands construct little fables with trite terms like snow, lightning bolt, or eyelids. But to me, this is effective for the music and well fitted; not to mention how masterfully both employ them.

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
I could see how some would consider some of the lyrics trite. But to me, when one considers the mood of Funeral - wide eyed innocence and all. The content is appropriate.

Arcade Fire reminds me of The Cloud Cult in this regard. Both bands construct little fables with trite terms like snow, lightning bolt, or eyelids. But to me, this is effective for the music and well fitted; not to mention how masterfully both employ them.

Yeah, I wasn't really referring to individual lyrics as being trite, more like some of the ideas just aren't very well developed and seem trite to me. Sure, sometimes they are meant to be from a child's perspective, and I can appreciate that. And generally they work within the song, but sometimes I just find myself cringing a little when I hear a line, and that is a distraction for me. We obviously don't agree and that's fine, but I can pick pretty much any song and grab a line as an example ...

You change all the lead
sleepin’ in my head to gold,
as the day grows dim,
I hear you sing a golden hymn,
the song I’ve been trying to say.

And the power’s out in the heart of man,
take it from your heart put in your hand.

They say a watched pot won’t ever boil,
you can’t raise a baby on motor oil,
just like a seed down in the soil you gotta give it time.

The pains of love, and they keep growin’,
in my heart there’s flowers growin’
on the grave of our old love,
since you gave me a straight answer.

Yeah, I know, you love and cherish all those lines
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #25 of 28
I picked up Funeral just to get something different. In the end, I was very pleased! Modest Mouse without the twist is the best I could describe it. There are some things I would've changed to make it better, but overall, a solid record and definatly something refreshingly different.

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Yeah, I know, you love and cherish all those lines
wink.gif

lol! Can't have a civil conversation then? And yes, those lyrics are framed next to my PC so I may contemplate them before venturing out into the day. Well those and "Beat It".

I am not trying to change anyone's mind. That is what makes music so fun. But IMO, the lyrics in Neighborhood 4 (7 kettles) work very well when taken in context.

Oct 10, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoboomofo
I guess that's why they were brave enough to close by doing a pied piper routine through the crowd as we exited. That was mucho coolo.

if i'm not wrong, they do that for the majority of their shows.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back