So, which under $200 player would you buy right now?
Apr 17, 2016 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Onix

Papá de Iñaki
I am considering a new player, or perhaps a DAC to use with my Windows tablet, but as you know options here in Mexico are somewhat limited. I am not going to mention any specific players that have caught my interest, since I would really like to know what would you guys get right now, if you had some 200 bucks to spare. There are some things to consider, like a warm yet detailed sound for example, a good natural bass and a battery life going around perhaps 8 hours at a minimum. I would not use ear monitors, but big closed cans instead. Think Momentums for example, albeit I don't have them at the moment. Mainstream brands and obscure ones are both welcome.

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 7
FiiO X1. I know it's the sort of "go to" for a cheaper DAP but it's got great features and fantastic sound. I'd certainly give it a try. The X3 2nd Gen is $200 new but...I didn't care for the sound honestly.

If you don't mind used look in the FS/FT section here. I bought a X5 Japanese Limited Edition a few weeks for like $115 shipped...and it's amazing. Then bought a E12A for $95 so yeah...

But yeah, X1 if you want new only, otherwise check the market here and see if you can snag something nicer.

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 7
I'm a totally newbie to audiophile and i'm really in need of help for picking up my first DAP for around $99-120. Currently i am playing from my Note 4 (exynos version) with V-MODA 80 and my M50x with E11k amp is coming soon.
I'm looking at :
Xuelin iHifi 770c :$99- really like its design and from what i've read, this baby is rocking with fresh new rockbox avaiable. Dual HO is a nice feature and heard that battery can last for 10 to 12hour.
Colorfly C4K+: $99. :love the bigger screen and love the description of H20 about its mid, very much make me choose it immediately.  The battery though, 1400mah, seemed to be rather mediocre. 
XDuoo X3: $109 Already supported Rockbox with great sound qualified.

With all the competitors stand really close to each other, i'm pretty confused. As far as i know, all of them are decent players but have problem with FLAC. I hear so many type of music, vary from Take Me To Church, Forever and One, to Million Years, 80-90s...etc... mostly in FLAC 16/44 format. This is my very first DAP so i'm expecting the battery can last for 8-12h, good vocal representation, clear and natural details. 
I'm not a critical listener but i have to admit that i'm a bit picky.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 7
For Windows tablet
Sony PHA1 sells for under $200.
Nice warm bass.
10 hrs analogue
I don't know if u can use it digitally with your Windows tablet.

A Windows tablet is just a small PC in regards to connectivity. I think it will be just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 7
  I'm a totally newbie to audiophile and i'm really in need of help for picking up my first DAP for around $99-120. Currently i am playing from my Note 4 (exynos version) with V-MODA 80 and my M50x with E11k amp is coming soon.
I'm looking at :
Xuelin iHifi 770c :$99- really like its design and from what i've read, this baby is rocking with fresh new rockbox avaiable. Dual HO is a nice feature and heard that battery can last for 10 to 12hour.
Colorfly C4K+: $99. :love the bigger screen and love the description of H20 about its mid, very much make me choose it immediately.  The battery though, 1400mah, seemed to be rather mediocre. 
XDuoo X3: $109 Already supported Rockbox with great sound qualified.

With all the competitors stand really close to each other, i'm pretty confused. As far as i know, all of them are decent players but have problem with FLAC. I hear so many type of music, vary from Take Me To Church, Forever and One, to Million Years, 80-90s...etc... mostly in FLAC 16/44 format. This is my very first DAP so i'm expecting the battery can last for 8-12h, good vocal representation, clear and natural details. 
I'm not a critical listener but i have to admit that i'm a bit picky.

The election process is never easy with so many options in the current market. Most of the time I go for the opinions of members that have a similar taste as mine before picking up a player, but it's still a hit or miss process in some cases. Here in Mexico we don't have many audiophile options in the market and most of the time I go for whatever is available, but in recent times I've taken my chances with imports and all the complications that go along with them. I was lucky enough to find the Colorfly C3 with a local distro and the Kogan/Rytmix players with a friend who was kind enough to send me one. But me and other Mexican members have had bad experiences with either bad sellers or the mail service. The funny thing is that, for some reason, even with all the problems, we are still coming here to spend the money we sometimes find so hard to get into stuff that most people will never touch and makes us look abnormal to others.
But in the end, the best choices are those YOU like, and nobody else. And also save a lot of money and eat a lot of Ramen, so you can spend money in stuff to make the rest of us drool over.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Yah, guess you right. From what i've read, if i want a reliable and "controllable" device, i should get a Xduoo X3 but since i love the design of 770c so much, i'm willing to take on the risk now. 
I'm living in Vietnam so once the purchase is made, there is no going back. No warranty, no support :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back