So when i was 14... bucket plus firecracker...
Feb 26, 2010 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mmayer167

500+ Head-Fier
the title says it all.... when i was 14 i was in Canada with my father and a few friends for a week fishing on rainy lake. It was nearing the end of the trip and us kids were getting restless..... playing with firecrackers was an evening event. ONE night i threw one in a bucket and didnt make it far enough away from the bucket fast enough... my head was pretty much right over the bucket about 3 feet away right in the sonic path of all that explosion goodness!! my right ear was the side hit hardest as i was trying to escape. Any of you sound engineers or people who really understand how the ear functions able to tell me how f'd my critical hearing has been damaged in my right ear? from time to time i notice how i miss some detail my left ear would pick up, also my right ear is a bit more sensitive when i get a cold to pressure... arggg struggles of ear damage and this addiction.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #2 of 11
Thats what you get for going to Canada. Anyways, I thought about trying to cheer you up with something like "at least you didn't lose a hand" but then I remembered that I'd rather lose a hand than lose my hearing. They got cool bionic hands now but cochlears look horrible and probably aren't that great.

Feb 26, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 11
An audiologist can measure your hearing loss. You can then contact Jerry Harvey and have him make you a custom IEM to compensate for your hearing loss. Problem solved!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 11
i'm 23 now.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 11
When I was about 9 I got knocked down by a soccer ball on my right ear!!! Luckily I did not have any hearing problems but even now I occasionally hear soft tinnatus on my right ear.
icon10.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #8 of 11
I saw a photo of the aftermath of a teenager that decided to light an M80 in his mouth. Not pretty at all...

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 11
You are paranoid. There are much better things to occupy your mind... like girls in strapy heels.

My dopey neighbor set off a 1000 string of fireworks in my room when I was a kid. We jumped on the bed and huddled in the corner like two gay guys at prom 'till it was over.

I got blasted by the impulse of a shotgun while duck hunting. I was on the wrong side of the ejection port of a friend's shotgun. It was so loud I thought armageddon was near. I've taken dozens of rides to altitude in very loud, doorless turbine aircraft. All this among countless other loud events. I'm not a bit worse for the wear.

Go see a pro if you are worried; otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to sweat it. Head-Fi breeds this hypersensitivity. That's not to say people should not be careful, but we're pretty resilient creatures.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was about 9 I got knocked down by a soccer ball on my right ear!!! Luckily I did not have any hearing problems but even now I occasionally hear soft tinnatus on my right ear.
icon10.gif

crap happens, man. No way could that have affected your hearing.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once aired up a football too much and have been left with the same wonderings regarding my left ear.

Haha i did the same thing with a bicycle tube, damn POS was less than 2m away from my head. Though afaik I know I did not suffer any permanent damage, in fact my hearing is now supernatural, as my hearing is sooo good I do not know the definition of silence. (though that could be the tinnitus)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back