So when do these amp makers start including music players in their products too?
Jul 8, 2008 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

datek

New Head-Fier
Dumb question of the day:

I see that there are small high quality amps with dac functionality, and that's like 98% of music playback hardware you need. So why not cover that 2% and install a music player in there too?

And aren't those dacs usb-only, so they don't work with portable players?

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 6
HAHA. 2%... ha. you obviously dont know how hard it is to make an mp3 player. the logistics, the design, the software, the hardware, the huge economies of scale needed to make them cost less than a million pounds. Its not going to happen.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 6
I think you might have those numbers backwards.
wink.gif
I can imagine building the player section of a DAP dwarfs building its amp section immensely in difficulty.

A bit OT, but the Rockbox team has been working on a project to make a Rockbox DAP for a while now; I think that would be of interest to a lot of people here.

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you might have those numbers backwards.
wink.gif
I can imagine building the player section of a DAP dwarfs building its amp section immensely in difficulty.

A bit OT, but the Rockbox team has been working on a project to make a Rockbox DAP for a while now; I think that would be of interest to a lot of people here.

hmm, first im hearing of a rockbox pmp. more info please!

Jul 10, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, first im hearing of a rockbox pmp. more info please!

You can have a read over the project page here.
smily_headphones1.gif
It appears they started one prototype in Christmas 2007 and hope to have something solid later this year.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oya? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can have a read over the project page here.
smily_headphones1.gif
It appears they started one prototype in Christmas 2007 and hope to have something solid later this year.

Thanks. it looks interesting, but i doubt i would get it, especially with the new creative x-fi zen out. but it is cheap, and has good memory, definately an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back