So what's wrong with the MDR-V700DJ?
Jun 15, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #16 of 44
Basically, I can sum up what's wrong with the V700's in 2 words:

THEY EXIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 15, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
They're big and heavy, use large drivers, and are overly sensitive so that you can get very loud sound even out of a really gutless portable -- but once a headphone designer or manufacturer does all that, the design ends up with poor damping.

I'm quoting myself here only because I'm trying to tell you that oversized, over-efficient headphones with oversized drivers make a recipe for crappy sound, if not disaster.

Jun 15, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 44
Magicthyse

There's no point in being a neutral or balanced presenter of sound when other stuff - especially in the low frequencies - is trying to take over.

They are not balanced at all in any way shape or form. my ex70s had better bass than them. they just go reaaaaalllly loud out of a low-powered amp. thats all. i have listened to them. just try the SENNHEISER 280 PRO and your music will have some life. and oh boy, the bass goes soooo deep on the sennheiser 280 pro!

Jun 15, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #19 of 44
I'm no DJ, but the theoretical concept of the V700DJ headphone is flawed, IMO. Why would a DJ want a headphone with very high sensitivity so that he could over-compensate for a noisy, ambient environment (and subsequently ruining his hearing) instead of opting for a sealed headphone so that they could listen at reasonable (non-dtrimental) listening levels, especially when both headphones would (theroretically) accomplish the same goal? Or am I missing something in my logic? Oh, I know what I'm not missing: the brain that is providing the common sense that too many people today are evidently lacking. Blah!

Jun 16, 2002 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I'm not sure what people on this board mean by 'good headphones. I like to think of it differently - 'appropriate headphones' is a better word.

Hear, hear! I would like to entreat all of you pukeholes to be as openminded and intelligent as our new friend here.

Jun 16, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #23 of 44
I just registered today.
I don't know anything about the 7000's BUT I do own a pair of the v7's , that apparently few here have heard of. A friend gave them to me when he bought a set of Grados. So far I enjoy them and my home amplifier (Audiolab 8000A, 15 years old + ) seems to enjoy driving them .

Jun 16, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #25 of 44
Last I remember the V7s were supposedly good models, not the same as V700 (similar to the good V6 vs horrid v600)...

Doesn't gluegun have some 50 page guide on this stuff anyway?

I also find it strange that many people acknowledge the V700s as Sony's best even though Sony themselves have better (and pricier) phones...

Jun 16, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #26 of 44
I actually do DJ, and I find that the V700s are not appropriate for me. They are bulky, weak and uncomfortable. They flip around for side monitoring, but they don't do it very well, its a bit awkward. They emphasize mid-bass, so assuming you have a stereotypical thump thump thump house bass-beat, then it sounds like it has a lot of bass, but electronic music (at least, the electronic music i find to be stimulating) has a lot more going on in the bass region than thump thump thump, and all that gets muddied up.

The then the V700s have going for them is cool looks. DJs looks damn slick wearing them. Which is, of course, why most of them BUY the V700s. Many DJs aren't really that interested in sound, which is why they buy Gemini turntables, and numark mixers.

Like people have said, if the V700 was 50$, it would be a good buy, and useful for some starting off DJs. But at 60$, the Sony V6 (or my 7506) is a much better choice for DJing, more accurate, pretty good isolation, more durable and more comfortable. It has side monitoring abilities, it folds up and has a coiled cable. Its not as cool looking, I'll admit. The Senn HD280s are nice too. I've never used them for DJing, but I gave them a good listening at the WoH tour. They sound good, and they are built like a tank. Better isolation than the sonys too.

Open headphones are right out for DJing, not possible with all the noise around. And Etys, despite their good isolation, would NOT work for DJing, you need to be able to put them on and take them off very quickly, with one hand, which isn't the case with canal phones that need to be carefully inserted each time.

Anyway, the V700s would be cool if they were a lot cheaper. Sony made a very neat looking headphone, and marketed it very well toward the DJ market. It was not priced by what its true value is, but rather, the price was chosen so that it would be expensive enough that you could say "Yeah man, these are like, the awesomest dj phones, they cost me like, 120$, but I gotta have the best man." and have people nod their head and say "Wow, 120$? He's really dedicated to his djing" and yet they had to be cheap enough so that lots of people could buy them to keep them popular. They chose a good price-point for that end. Too much cheaper, and too many people would have them, removing their 'elite' feel, but too much more expensive, and not enough people could afford them.

Anyway, even DJs require a real headphone. I'm totally down with the 'right headphone for the right job' idea, but I'm afraid that the V700 is not the right headphone for any jobs I can think of.

peace,
phidauex

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #27 of 44
When I got my V6, my first Head-Fi-certified good pair of 'phones, I immediately began debating with myself the benefits of a flat response. It definitely wasn't what I was used to. We'll get into this later, but the point is that I definitely think there's some music that sounds better -- much better -- with emphasized bass.

I want to go find a pair of the V100DJ-series cans and try them out. I wouldn't be surprised if I prefer them for some listening.

kerelybonto

Jun 17, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

definitely think there's some music that sounds better -- much better -- with emphasized bass.

Oh yeah i totally agree...i mean this totally makes sense if you're listening to something that some ppl like to CALL music, even though IT IS NOT MUSIC! lol...
biggrin.gif

sorry....i sound really insultive right now...i guess its just because i dont consider heavy metal-ish and electronic-ish stuff music....i just refer to it as noise...

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #29 of 44
yeah, the emphasized bass is more realistic, I think, because at most concerts, the bass is more than in the recording! and, it gives the music some flavor. especially needed when listening in noisy environments or at night very quiet. but it cant be boomy. ughh, like the new sony bass boost (d-bass is exceptionally horrible on the car-head-units). i gasp at how the sound of sonys cdps has deteriorated! but anyway, its fun to listen to my olllddd 1990 sony D-11 with the bass level boost at 1, even though its a tad bit much, and the treble gets a bit bright, especialy with my senns... but the thing is sooo powerful for a pcdp, that with the vol. at the lowest possible, its still too loud for listening at night! I bet the thing could drive some K1000s.... maybe not, but you could probably hear something out of them! lol!... ok im rambling... ...... ...

Jun 17, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #30 of 44
Well - my 2c.

Although I never use the two in the same situations, I've directly compared the V700's and the Grado SR60 - what seems like the benchmark of general sound performance around that price point - and I will say that yes, there's loss of accuracy, but it's actually not that muddy. There's boominess but there is just more of it (the bass). Perhaps Sony have QC issues with the drivers, but my V700's manage to convey a fair amount of detail, with that booming bass, not that much of the other midrange->bass detail is lost.

And like B&O or Apple, to a lesser extent you pay a premium for something that looks good.

All in all, I'd say once again perfect for bassy electronica.

PS. Test track was 'Smack My Bitch Up' cranked up to just below distortion on the Grado. Interestingly the Grado lost more detail in the bass at this volume level! (Although this is to be expected)

But I really do need another closed DJ-style phone to compare. And besides, it's true that the thumping gets wearing sometimes. Hopefully should be able to pack in a visit to the shop later this week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back