So... whats next?
May 2, 2003 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I'll start this thread by saying I am very happy with the sound of my rig right now; lately I've found myself more then a tad depressed, and spending money seems to help with that sometimes.

My current rig includes:

Senn 600s / Cardas
Headamp Gilmore v.2
Philips 963SA
and Outlaw/DH-Labs BL-1 ICs

If I can afford to throw another hundred - hundred-fiddy at the system, where would I be best suited? I won't change my source, as it was a gift from my father, and I'm very fond of my senns, and won't consider swapping those until hearing DT880s at this months NYC meet. Right now, my strongest leanings are toward either getting new ICs or aftermarket power cords...

What do you guys think/recomend?

May 3, 2003 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 20
typical recommendations for cables are that you should spend at least 10% of what your system costs on interconnects and cables...

is there anything that you find "lacking" in your system i.e. exaggerated highs, flabby bass (I highly doubt it but...)
then you should look at getting some interconnects that may help alleviate some of those problems. Outlaw make good entry level ICs but there are many other good ones to be had...Nordost, Ultralink, XLO, and many many others...

Alternatively, I didnt see any power conditioning equipment. Therefore typical "upgrades" include changing your power outlets to hospital grade outlets, getting a line filter, etc. Also moving your digital stuff off the same outlet(s) as your analog/power amp stuff has said to improve things as well since digital sources are "noisy"

A recent issue of Stereophile had a brief review of a JPS Labs digital AC cable...they had excellent results using it with their Sony SCD777ES...thats a thought...cant remember the price though...

If you dont have anything wrong...go buy yourself a bunch of nice CDs and lay back and enjoy yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers

May 3, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 20
I don't think you can find a much better IC than the outlaw for under $100. I would suggest to try some power cord.
I can clearly hear the difference on my 963SA. I believe the gilmore will sound better with a nice power cord too.
There's a lot to choose from, VD power3, VH power cords, Signal magic... etc
Happy Listening.

Great system you got there
wink.gif

May 3, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #4 of 20
I agree that you should consider power conditioning. Perhaps it won't make any difference in your setup, but it is the one thing that isn't listed in your profile. For the $100-$150 limit you specified you can find the Monster Cable HTS2000 which was highly recommended by Robert Harley several years ago. You might also try PCs - which you can build yourself for $35-$55.

Also consider isolation components. There are alot of different devices out there in your price range e.g. Black Diamond Racing Cones, Final Labs Daruma 3-II, Mapleshade Brass Cones , and a host of others.

May 3, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 20
If you hit it off with someone you meet at the Lab, ask to borrow something. Your system doesn't need $150 in help, it needs to be left alone for several months.

NGF

May 3, 2003 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 20
I agree with TimSchirmer....

If ever you find yourself wondering what to spend money on next hifi wise, then spend it on music. Anything that you do buy when you get that urge tends to be a waste of money and a let down so flex that plastic down at Tower Records or wherever and broaden your musical horizons a little bit further
biggrin.gif

Sound As Ever

May 5, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 20
I like your setup so far. I think you should listen to other systems to see what more you are looking for in your system. I see a few steps you could make, but they would be alot more than $150. If you see my profile it is similiar to yours. Maybe hold off for a few months and upgrade to the 1.6's. Are you still in the time frame for Magnepan to help you on that one? I don't know of your sub, but that was the biggest improvement in my MMG system. Oh, do you have a good rack? That or isolation would be my choice for $150 dollars, but do you know what you are listening for? Sometimes isolation makes music more boring and lifeless. How about Maggies legs? That is a crucial improvement for MMG's.
Power conditioning is another thing. In my apartment, My system sounds better out of the wall than any conditioner I used. (Tripplite, Monster,Isotel)

May 8, 2003 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 20
If you feel a tad bit depressed, I would also recommend leaving your system alone for a while, especially if you're happy with the sound. If you get a chance to try out new stuff and find some new equipment you're sure will make your system sound better, then budget accordingly. However, with that kind of money, you could spend the weekend away from the system.

Might I recommend you take a friend to a concert, or maybe go hiking - depending upon what your interests are outside of the audio realm.

What haven't you done in a while that you enjoy? Being a tad depressed probably means you're burnt out with what you're focused on at the moment. Feeling really depressed probably means you're isolating yourself (in some way) or theres something you need to get resolved (by talking) that none of us can probably help with - and a set of cables really couldn't help with.

Trust me, buying new things doesn't always make one feel better. Especially when you figure that buying things makes you feel better
wink.gif

May 8, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 20
I would probably be hesitant to buy anything without trying it out first. You might find that a good powercord would make a nice difference or you might not.

As for ICs I would probably just save the money and spend a bit more to get a major improvement in IC. Since you're happy with your setup for the most part I wouldnt' buy anything that isn't a substantial improvement. You want to be at a point where spending more money won't get you much better just different.

May 9, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 20
Check out this site for closeouts and demos on cables and power cords. www.hcmaudio.com good luck.

May 9, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 20
TimSchirmer hit the nail on the head. More music.

The hobby isn’t component upgrades it’s the pleasure of listening to the music.

Anyway I’m jones’n to invest a little too and am looking towards isolation. Sorbathane feet or something along that line for the CD player.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back