So What's Beyond the Hornet/SR-71?
Oct 2, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 23
"better" will evoke many many flames here...especially because a lot of preferences are based on subjective opinions. what's better to A may not be better to B.

also, what are you looking for?
better sounding?
better-built?
better features?
better price/performance?

list goes on and on...

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 23
Well, I recently sold my RSA SR-71...not because I didn't love them, more because I like change and my buddy wanted to buy them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently in the process of stripping myself of my entire home/headphone inventory and investing myself totally into the IEM avenue. So I'm just curious what's "beyond" the RSA top of the line. Portable headphone amps seem to peak at RSA and at that price range...but I could easily be wrong here.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 23
As others have said, "better" is quite subjective. If you're talking about price and associating performance based on price, there's still the LaRocco PRII and the RSA XP-7.

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 23
Hmm...DIY or commercially available?

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 23
What about putting the Headroom Micro Amp and DAC in a bag with some 9v's? Not exactly practical, but I imagine the sound would be better than the Hornet.

I haven't heard either combo, just speculating.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 23
In my long search for a portable (ish) combo to compliment my H140 i was going to get the micro stack myself. But i read more than a few threads advising to get the MicroDAC paired with the SR-71. Now i cant comment on the MicroDAC and Microamp together, but the MicroDAC and SR-71 blew my socks off. And yes i do put it in a bag and use it as my portable solution. Just invested in the E500 so it is now complete.

Oct 2, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 23
With more features and MAYBE better sounding, xin's supermini/supermacro
Some people on xin's forum thinks the IV with the lasest updates have a slight edge over SR71/hornet

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul
In my long search for a portable (ish) combo to compliment my H140 i was going to get the micro stack myself. But i read more than a few threads advising to get the MicroDAC paired with the SR-71. Now i cant comment on the MicroDAC and Microamp together, but the MicroDAC and SR-71 blew my socks off. And yes i do put it in a bag and use it as my portable solution. Just invested in the E500 so it is now complete.

Hi Caramelsoul,I have the same combo,H140/Micro dac/but a PRII amp. what bag are you using for it all?

Cheers,
Robert

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 23
I agree. Based on the portables I've heard (and heard about), about the only way to do "better" than the RSA stuff is to get a MicroDac and something with a decent digital out...

Thanks for the SR-71, I'm enjoying it very much...

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 23
Edited as info might be premature. kugino, would you be so kind as to remove my quote from your post? Thanks.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Oct 2, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 23
I don't know what features would make it better for you. If you want a versatile portable amp with long battery life, Justin's latest version of the AE-1 is due out anytime. It's not the smallest though if that is more important to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back