So what were you guys/girls doing today when you weren't all listening to high end audio?
May 22, 2021 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

100+ Head-Fier
Starting this because most of you are audiophile bores just like me but I'm also a paragliding/mtb bore.....

Totally about me I know .... But this was me in today's race ....

Going to hit you up with some paragliding crashes too ...

Get a life outside audio, you'll appreciate it more and maybe lose some weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 46
Well, I'm a bit too old to go on such thrilling (and somewhat dangerous) excursions but I am quite the health/fitness/nature freak and go on strenuous 5~7 mile hikes every day around the mountain trails in my neighborhood. I'm in the middle of the sprawling SoCal metropolis (30 miles east of LA and 20 miles north of the heart of Orange County) but I'm fortunate that I live in an isolated town up on the hills next to a state park where I can get away from the maddening SoCal traffic and enjoy nature in solitude while taking in music. Attached are some photos of what I take in every day during the hikes while listening through the LCDi4.

For me, the best of all worlds and the ultimate high is to enjoy world class audio out in nature with the music serving as the "soundtrack" for the visuals I take in. It's why I'm always interested in gear that I can take with me wherever I go. It's why I started this audiophile journey with high-end IEMs. Pre-pandemic, I was traveling 3 months out of the year on business trips visiting suppliers and customers all around the world and, when things return to somewhat normal post-pandemic, I expect the travel time to increase to 4 months and, eventually, I expect to split my time 50/50 (for both business and pleasure) between Asia and US.

It's why I got the Diana Phi along with the WA11 even though I already have the LCDi4 and the JH Audio Layla CIEM (with Mojo). I'm preparing to get really mobile again. It was the pandemic and having to work from home that got me interested in getting the 1266 TC, SR1a and the setup I have now. But now that US is mostly vaccinated, I'm itching badly to get out and start experiencing the rest of the world again.

Next week, I'm taking the family on a long-planned 10-day RV vacation trip to Zion and Bryce in Utah and I'm taking my Chord stack and TC with me and my wife will be able to enjoy the Diana with the WA11. My sons will have their HD800S HPs which I passed onto them with the original Hugo and Mojo. We are a Head-Fi family. Haha. And I'll be driving the RV through the Mojave Desert while listening through Layla and hiking in Zion with the LCDi4 in my ears. During the nights, I'll be looking at the starry skies while enjoying the TC through my Chord stack.

Yes, we need to get out of our cocoons but we need to take the music and the sound with us as well. :wink: BTW, are you listening while biking and paragliding? Or would that be too much of a distraction while performing such physically demanding (and somewhat risky) endeavors?

Attachments

• IMG_2256.jpeg
    IMG_2256.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    886.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2259.jpeg
    IMG_2259.jpeg
    874.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2263.jpeg
    IMG_2263.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2266.jpeg
    IMG_2266.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 46
That's a great post!

Sounds like I had a similar rationale to you for getting some headphones and a desktop amp due to living a more sedentary existence in recent times. Haven't regretted it one bit so that's one positive that's come out of not being able to travel widely for me. My headphones will be coming on camping trips too though! I even made a special case for them!!

I use my iems every day too when I take the dog for a walk... Sometimes it's like being in a lovely music video! I completely get what you say about that!

I don't use iems whilst paragliding as that could be a bit distracting (we use audio to tell us how we're climbing/sinking) but when I'm out on my own on the mtb I'll use my customs.

The music certainly helps on the climbs!

PS.. you're never too old! I've met paraglider pilots in their 70's and 80's who are still actively flying... And I'm getting an e-bike in addition to my pushbikes later this year 🤞 to keep me keen.

I ride with 70 yr olds too!

Scenery around you looks awesome for flying and I bet there are some brilliant mtb trails there.

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 46
Cruising........
B4D14BC6-4C92-4E81-957B-CC288C441CAA.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 46
I bring my mobile setup into the desert or mountains and rock out. :gs1000smile:

5260932F-92DD-4277-8535-50A0EB61C1C5.jpeg
9FE04F5F-4841-4925-A551-480ABAFA7380.jpeg

May 23, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 46
That's a great post!

Sounds like I had a similar rationale to you for getting some headphones and a desktop amp due to living a more sedentary existence in recent times. Haven't regretted it one bit so that's one positive that's come out of not being able to travel widely for me. My headphones will be coming on camping trips too though! I even made a special case for them!!

I use my iems every day too when I take the dog for a walk... Sometimes it's like being in a lovely music video! I completely get what you say about that!

I don't use iems whilst paragliding as that could be a bit distracting (we use audio to tell us how we're climbing/sinking) but when I'm out on my own on the mtb I'll use my customs.

The music certainly helps on the climbs!

PS.. you're never too old! I've met paraglider pilots in their 70's and 80's who are still actively flying... And I'm getting an e-bike in addition to my pushbikes later this year 🤞 to keep me keen.

I ride with 70 yr olds too!

Scenery around you looks awesome for flying and I bet there are some brilliant mtb trails there.
Very cool. I admire your dedication to these exciting endeavors. I can probably handle biking but I don't think I have the nerves for paragliding. Haha. My mother bungee-jumped off a very tall bridge while traveling in Australia when she was 65 so I know that older folks can do some crazy things. I got my musical taste from her but not that kind of fearlessness. Hiking, camping, working out at the gym, swimming and playing racquetball will be enough for me!

Yes, music is like a subliminal soundtrack being played as we go on about with our lives. And food for the soul, of course.

May 23, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #12 of 46
May 24, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 46
I bring my mobile setup into the desert or mountains and rock out. :gs1000smile:

BTW, what is the mobile rig that you bring with you on an excursion like this?

May 24, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 46
A lovely day in SoCal today so I took an extra long hike/walk (almost 9 miles) so I'm feeling a bit worn out but it was worth it when the temperature is right around 70, the air quite clear by SoCal standards, and the climate dry and super comfortable. Some photos attached from today's outing.

I have to say, the LCDi4 has been such a great companion for these hikes and other outdoor activities and I'm always quite amazed by how good it sounds. I really love the tonality of it (through their CIPHER cable which has the built-in DAC and EQ "correction"). Without the LCDi4, I'm pretty sure I couldn't go on such long walks almost every day. It has a very open and airy sound for an IEM and it should since it really is an open-back mini-HP.

I've had the LCDi4 for almost 3 years now and, even after having added the LCD-4, SR1a, 1266 TC and Diana Phi, it stands very strong and I never feel like it's really "lacking" when I listen to it for basically around 2 hours every single day. It makes me want to get out, take in the fresh air, enjoy nature and go on strenuous hikes. The LCDi4 has really helped me develop a healthy lifestyle. It feels like a friend who inspires me to go out and get active. I love it dearly.

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpeg
    IMG_2277.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2280.jpeg
    IMG_2280.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2281.jpeg
    IMG_2281.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 0
May 24, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 46
BTW, what is the mobile rig that you bring with you on an excursion like this?
A8D9CEBF-9365-4B6E-B3C6-3C2385E0EDCA.jpeg

Mojo with a Focal Elegia at the time...next trip is in 2 weeks...probably bringing the Hugo2 with the Utopia.

Crap, forgot I had the Colbalt Dragonfly also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back