So what limits overall sound with this setup?
Mar 10, 2003 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

charlesb

New Head-Fier
Source: D-FJ401 PCDP
Phones: Ety 4P (with S converter)
AMP: META42, with AD8620, double stacked 2001 buffers, portable version powered by single 9V
battery.

I've been contemplating a cable, something like a silver braid mini<>mini interconnect, but wonder if this is the next place to spend the $$. I'm fairly committed to keeping this a portable setup, so what should come next?

Mar 10, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 8
I would say the PCDP player; try listening to the system through a good home CD player. I am looking (without success) for another PCDP in current production with good sound and a line out. Clean all you electromechanical connections with the appropriates CAIG chemicals.

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
I would say the PCDP player; try listening to the system through a good home CD player. I am looking (without success) for another PCDP in current production with good sound and a line out. Clean all you electromechanical connections with the appropriates CAIG chemicals.

Well, the D-FJ401 has a line out and seems to work well with the META. Actually, let me confess a newbie's ignorance: What is so different about one CD player over another? I am aware of some subtleties of digitally sample sound, but I find it hard to believe that the CD player is really a weak link, although I can easily believe that the analog output stages are a weak spot; hence the line out. Other than that, what makes a "good home CD player" better than the PCDP that I have?

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Other than that, what makes a "good home CD player" better than the PCDP that I have?

You need to audition a good budget CDP (~$350-$500, you can find plenty of suggestions here), that should answer all your questions. If you audition a Radio Shack $129 special CDP, well, you'd be right not to expect much difference, and that's just what you get.

Mark

Mar 11, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Clean all you electromechanical connections with the appropriates CAIG chemicals.

what do you recommend for cleaning connections?

Mar 11, 2003 at 2:21 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
what do you recommend for cleaning connections?

CAIG (www.caig.com) makes a couple of good products and publishes good application sheets for them. D100 is red and works to clean and improve electrical connections of non-precious metals (copper, steel, and the like). ProGold is almost clear and works on precious metal connections (gold, palladium and such). D100 is about four times more active as a corrosion cleaner.

Mar 11, 2003 at 2:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Source....no doubt.

Mar 11, 2003 at 3:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by charlesb
What is so different about one CD player over another? I am aware of some subtleties of digitally sample sound, but I find it hard to believe that the CD player is really a weak link, although I can easily believe that the analog output stages are a weak spot; hence the line out. Other than that, what makes a "good home CD player" better than the PCDP that I have?

Let's start with your last question. A good home CD player has 1) no space/weight/power constraints, 2) good stable power supply, and 3) transport that isn't engineered to be part of the chassis. There are real electronic limitations to operating off of 3.0VDC to 4.5VDC and wanting 20 hours of operating time minimum. When you can have a solid chasis that isolates the components mechanically, magnetically, and electrically you can have much better noise numbers. I know of no PCDPs with 20 or 24 bit DACS (the length of the binary word). Other than that, there are multiple grades of the components that make up a home CD player. Putting good DACS with solid transports in structurally inert chasises makes for a better CDP. Look at Stereophiles recommended CDPs; any of them are going to be really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back