So What Do You Think?
Jan 15, 2010 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Darksyde

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, Head-Fi!

Okay, so I've been lurking here for the better part of a year, and have suffered upgraditis many times... which isn't good considering my $10 weekly allowance! It all started innocently with a pair of Koss KSC75's, up to now, where I'm one of the very few 13 year-olds who have a pair of RS1i's. I'm by no means rich... my families income barely qualifies us for middle-class, so when I buy something, I make sure that it's what I want, and I really take care of it.

Simply put, while the RS1i's sound absolutely amazing to me, I cannot justify having spent $813 on them, and it's eating away at me. I love the Grado sound, but I'm open-minded to other things, as well. If I sell the RS1i's, I doubt that I'm going to get another Grado, as I know that it will sound inferior to what I currently own, and don't want to have to repurchase a pair of SR225i's. This is especially because I just sold my old pair at a loss to fund my RS1i's.

Since I've started reading on Head-Fi, the AKG k701/2's have been frequently mentioned, and praised. At first, I was happy with my SR80i's, but starting shortly afterwards, thoughts of getting a pair of the AKG's has grown on me. Now that I'm on the brink of selling my RS1i's, I have to decide what I will listen to, instead. And of course, the 701/2's have become a serious consideration of mine.

From what I've read, it sounds like the AKG's are a stellar headphone for the money, but need to be properly driven. I'm currently running my RS1i's through my Cowon S9, and Little Dot 2++. I listen to a lot of Jazz (Steely Dan), as well as modern rock/alternative.

So, Head-Fi, I ask you: if I enjoy the Grado sound, will I like the AKG's? I strongly dislike the veiled and laid-back nature of Sennheisers, so those are out of consideration. Also, what kind of amp, portable, or full-sized, sounds good with the AKG's? If I have to buy a new amp, my budget is going to be around $200, but I will go slightly over if absolutely necessary.

Thank you!

Mark

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Wow... you're only 13? Hats off to your parents and teachers for doing such a great job with you. You don't 'sound' like a typical 13 year old.
Good luck with your purchases. I think you will enjoy the K702.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Do consider buying stuff used: it's cheaper and you won't loose money if you want to change to something else.

Now, if you want to go the K701 route you'll have lost $300 to do so if you sell the RS1 (normal used price is $500-550), and will need to spend at least $200 on a used K701, totaling at $500 minimum. That's without a proper amp. And then you'll have to be lucky to like the K701, which FWIR sounds very different.

In short, you'll be out just as much money with a K701 rig.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 5
Thank you, Palpatine
smily_headphones1.gif

@ Paaj

I'm going to try to sell the headphones locally, so I should be able to recoup all of my money. I will likely buy the 'phones new (if I choose to go that route), but the amp will definitely be used.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 5
Just making sure you know what you're doing
wink.gif

If it is just a change because of the costs I don't think it'll do you much good, unless you can get a good price for the RS1's.

Must say that you certainly have come a long way with the $10 allowance
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back