So what do you think was Chick Corea's best band?
Nov 4, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm only talking about bands which Chick fronted, not bands he played roll as sideman.....By band I mean at least 3 people and also the band has to have released at least TWO albums, otherwise I consider it a one-time project. I'm using this thread really as a conversation starter because I don't think Chick get's enough talk here, he's amazing and a wonderful person too.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 18
so the first Return to Forever is......Light as a feather band?

wow it has been so long, back in high school and college.

I think I liked Romantic warror Return to Forever better

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 18
Chick Corea is an interesting one. I've been trying to get familiar with and understand his music with little success so far. I have the Return To Forever Anthology and Elektric Band, To The Stars. I just picked up Five Peace Band Live from the local library yesterday and gave CD #1 a listen to earlier this evening. He speaks a level of jazz that seems to be beyond me. There are times where I don't understand how the other musicians know what is going on. The music is going on and I'm lost. It may all click for me eventually. But right now it's music that is speaking a different language than what I'm familiar with.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chick Corea is an interesting one. I've been trying to get familiar with and understand his music with little success so far. I have the Return To Forever Anthology and Elektric Band, To The Stars. I just picked up Five Peace Band Live from the local library yesterday and gave CD #1 a listen to earlier this evening. He speaks a level of jazz that seems to be beyond me. There are times where I don't understand how the other musicians know what is going on. The music is going on and I'm lost. It may all click for me eventually. But right now it's music that is speaking a different language than what I'm familiar with.

I would suggest trying some truly classic albums of Chick's.....although the RTF anthology certainly demonstrates his classic fusion material.

Try his 2 of his most beloved releases..... Return To Forever (which is just an album by Chick simply called Return To Forever....one of ECM's first releases with the famous bird on the cover).......also try Now He Sings, Now He Sobs....which is one of his first releases, piano trio like, but totally separate from what Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett do in the same type of setting.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 18
Return to Forever....I saw them live at the Santa Monica civic aud...in 197??? I think that Al had just left so it was only with Chick Corea and Stanley Clark.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #8 of 18
I only have one Corea album ( Romantic Warrior ), so i won't vote for the poll, but it's really top quality,stuff...i'll dig something more in the future...

Nov 4, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #10 of 18
Interesting. I still think his best album, by far, is "My Spanish Heart". Out of these options, though, I chose 'Incarnation 1'.

I also liked when he played with Pattitucci and Colaiuta on that one tour..

I've seen Chick twice myself. When I was in high school he came to our school to play. Second time was the RTF reprise tour in summer of 2008. His only mistake now is the Yamaha Motif he keeps messing with
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Chick is an amazing musician, on both electric and acoustic, and is a wonderful mentor for younger musicians. I saw RTF many times in college (w. Clarke, White, and Dimeola). For me, Romantic Warrior is the pinnacle of fusion.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 18
My choice is Origin. It has some of his best, most mature writing. Especially for a larger group. Their live boxset is a awesome and a great value.

I never really thought of Corea as leader in Circle, or even RTF for that matter. While he wrote a lot of the material and was certainly a driving force, I see it more of a collaborative effort. Calling Corea leader is like saying Zawinul was the "leader" of Weather Report.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest trying some truly classic albums of Chick's.....although the RTF anthology certainly demonstrates his classic fusion material.

Try his 2 of his most beloved releases..... Return To Forever (which is just an album by Chick simply called Return To Forever....one of ECM's first releases with the famous bird on the cover).......also try Now He Sings, Now He Sobs....which is one of his first releases, piano trio like, but totally separate from what Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett do in the same type of setting.

My local library has over a dozen Chick Corea CDs so I'll be able to explore a good portion of his catalog. I'll start with the older stuff and work my way through to the more recent stuff. It'll be fun. I've been meaning to get myself acclimated to the type of jazz that Chick Corea does (and also some of Miles Davis as well). Right now that type of jazz leaves me a little lost. I'll get it figured out.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Seen him live twice now, and voted RTF 2/3. I've got "Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do" on vinyl, all the way up to the RTF remastered Anthology. DavidMahler is right, not enough being said about Chick here. I love "Children's Song #6", its like a solo piano version of "Song To The Pharaoh Kings".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back