So, what do you do when your ethernet connector is disconnected?
Jun 4, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
My laptop currently works wirelessly, but the LAN cable connection works only when in wants to, and that's not very often. In network connections it says the LAN device is disabled, and the device manager says 'this device (gigabit ethernet controller) is disconnected (error 45). To proceed, connect the device to the computer.'

You think it might have worked loose inside the computer, or is it possible that the controller itself is broken, or it's a software issue? I've dropped it a couple minor times and I've never taken it apart to clean it out. Think it's worth taking the computer apart and doing a nintendo style blow-job on the ethernet controller?

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 7
Most laptops disable the ethernet port when running on battiers to save power. I would check your laptops power options, either in the BIOS, or with software that came with it, to tell it not to turn the ethernet off when on batteries. Even if it is disabled when you plug it in, I would still check for this option, it can sometimes stay turned off.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 7
If you are running Windows, there is a high probability of having some sort of software problem. You could always try updating/reinstalling the drivers.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 7
How often does this happen and does it only happen when the waether is hot?

I loose connection when my rounter or modem become too hot (my theory) and they need to be unplugged for 5 minutes.After plugging them back in it comes back online every time.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, it has been rather hot, and it just rained and is pretty cool now, and I can see my ethernet adaptor. Of course, I'm actually out parked behind a hedge warspying right now
very_evil_smiley.gif
so it doesn't do me any good, but it does still work...when it wants to. I'm on batteries right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back