So very disappointed..........UE 500, I give up on Logitech
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

lebomb

100+ Head-Fier
Just bought these the other day............sounded amazing on my home stereo.  Awesome separation, great bass.  I was really impressed.  But, then came the test.  I plugged these into my Clip+.  Boy do these headphones blow.  I have to turn the volume almost to max to hear these things with any type depth or clarity.  The left ear is much quieter than the right ear.  I guess because the home system is more powerful, it overcomes the short comings of the UE 500s.  But to plan on using these at work and the gym, they just wont do.  Oh, I plugged my XB-40EXs in right after the UE 500s............and they Sony absolutey destroy the UEs in volume, and depth.  The Sonys are every bit as clear and just sound 10x more powerful.  Im just stunned at the results.  I realize I only played the 500s for 8hrs or so.......and didnt burn them in.   But, IMHO there is no way in hell they would get that much louder, and sound as good as the Sonys.  Im taking them back today right after work.  I want my $70 back ASAP. 

I was going to give my son the XBs, but now Im keeping them for myself and buying him some other cheaper headphones. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #4 of 30

Quote:
When in doubt spend moar money.

LOL................Yeah, maybe so.  I thought $80 would do it.  I just dont understand how a mfg. could develop a headphone that a standard MP3 player would struggle to power. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

LOL................Yeah, maybe so.  I thought $80 would do it.  I just dont understand how a mfg. could develop a headphone that a standard MP3 player would struggle to power. 

Maybe I am with you for a cheap IEM, but I think most of the flagship full sized headphones would sound pretty terrible out of a clip+.  At least compared to how they should or could sound.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe I am with you for a cheap IEM, but I think most of the flagship full sized headphones would sound pretty terrible out of a clip+.  At least compared to how they should or could sound.

Well.............these UE 500s are the ONLY earbuds (not headphone)..........sorry about that.....that my clip+ has struggled to play.  Even the superfi4s that I used to own played great at low/mid volumes.  Like I said though............this earbud sounded fantastic on a home stereo. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I use my IE8 and TripleFi10, both flagship iems, out of my clip and they sound just as they should, excellent. Don't see why people would think a tinsy amp on any portable dap would even be able to drive a full sized can - they are not made for that. 

It's best to stick to portable iems or cans when out and about, they are made for the weak amp of a dap. But if that fails there's also the posiblity of throwing an amp into the mix.

I also don't see why the UE500 are not loud enough. UE (Logitech) products are usually very sensitive and the RE0s I use on my clip (which are not very sensitive at all as far as iems are concerned) can be driven to dangerous volumes about 15 notches before max on a Rockboxed clip.

I suggest you try Rockboxing your clip if you have not done so already.

PS- Any UE I've tried below TF10 pretty much sucked compared many price range equivalents I've tried anyways.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I use my IE8 and TripleFi10, both flagship iems, out of my clip and they sound just as they should, excellent. Don't see why people would think a tinsy amp on any portable dap would even be able to drive a full sized can - they are not made for that. 

It's best to stick to portable iems or cans when out and about, they are made for the weak amp of a dap. But if that fails there's also the posiblity of throwing an amp into the mix.

I also don't see why the UE500 are not loud enough. UE (Logitech) products are usually very sensitive and the RE0s I use on my clip (which are not very sensitive at all as far as iems are concerned) can be driven to dangerous volumes about 15 notches before max on a Rockboxed clip.

I suggest you try Rockboxing your clip if you have not done so already.

PS- Any UE I've tried below TF10 pretty much sucked compared many price range equivalents I've tried anyways.

I corrected myself.....................the UE 500 is an IEM.  I have to turn my Clip+ to at least 3/4 for enjoyable listening, as compared to 1/4 for other IEMs Ive used with it. 

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 30
I see, 3/4 is still good and I wouldn't think to be much of a reason to return a headphone. Could also be the sound signature of the iem. ( Not true in this case since it sounded good on your stereo). Something with a more forward presentation could give a feel of power while something laid back and airy can give a less powerful feel <-- Still what I believe is true.

Eg for full sized cans - Alessandro MS2 vs AD900.

Still though I still believe that you should Rockbox you clip if you have not already done so. It alters the way that the volume is controlled (it is a lot more precise by being measured in decibels and may be able achieve greater volumes).

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #10 of 30
Well, if these sounded that good with your home stereo, they obviously have the "potential" and it sounds like all they need to shine is a decent portable amp to drive them. I def would not send back something that sounded so good, some IEM need an amp to sound good, some don't, but these obviously need the extra power to drive them properly.

Personally, I think an amp brings out the best in most IEM's, and is required for some.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 30
I never liked UE, even the TF. I wasn't surprised when I read the title, but I actually was when I read you had to turn up the volume that much. 

Assuming you are not deaf and the clip is not broken, the UE500 is defective, at least in some way.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #12 of 30

Quote:
I never liked UE, even the TF. I wasn't surprised when I read the title, but I actually was when I read you had to turn up the volume that much. 

Assuming you are not deaf and the clip is not broken, the UE500 is defective, at least in some way.

I actually read the same thing in a review on Bestbuy.com.  A gentlemen said he had to turn his player up almost all the way to get good sound..................but I figured what the heck and decided to give them a try.  Boy, he wasnt kidding.  My Sonys sound just as good or better using my Clip+ without an amp.  To be honest, I didnt think they would.............I was wrong. 

If anyone else has tried the UE 500s, please let me know your thoughts.  By the way, why would I amp my player, when it sounds great using my
Sonys and other IEMs?  ............. just to get roughly the same sound after amping the UE 500s? 

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #13 of 30
You have no reason to try amping them. Return them, at least I would if I were you. There are plenty of other better phones in the market, you don't have to stick with one.

Nov 16, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 30
Hmm...that's strange. Looking at the specs, they're low impedance and high sensitivity so they shouldn't be hard to drive by any decent portable player so hearing that they sound so terrible without amplification is very strange indeed.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 30
Maybe they're having issues with QC, but I found my TF10's difficult to listen to from my phone at low volumes as well. While my Miles Davis' and Turbine Copper's dont pump out as much volume as the TF10's, they keep their composure a whole lot better than the UE's at lower volumes (which is strange, since I always thought DD's are more difficult to drive than BA's)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back