So Ultimate Ears has snuffed me 3 times now...
Jan 30, 2006 at 7:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

AdamP

100+ Head-Fier
First, the two issues that I have with my SuperFi.5 Pros. I have had them for 4 months and I have not abused them in any way.

#1)
The left SuperFi has started to split in half. The seam at the rear half of the headphone has started to undo itself.

To remedy the problem I just exacto knifed a thin strip of electrical tape and wrapped the joint a couple times. From my listening the sound quality has not been affected.

I recall there have been a few members on here that have had their SuperFi's split in half fully.

#2)
My cord seems to have internally broken at the miniplug connection. The left channel only seems to come through and occasionally both channels come through with some random wiggling.

This is kind of ridiculous since I've babied these headphones every time I used them but yet my ****** modded EX-51s (1st generation with the hard plastic cables) have been put through 1.5 years of insane punishment and everything is holding together beautifully.

I've heard from various members that there was a revised SuperFi cable that is thicker and has a harder rubber coating on the cable than the soft rubber that I have on my cable.

Anyhow, here is the ridiculous part... I went to UE and tried to order a new cable for these phones... they want $20.50US for the cable (sure, I'm fine with that). But get this! They want $40.00US to ship this thing up to Canada. $60.50US to get one god damn replacement cable. This is an item that can be shipped in a god damn envelope for less than a dollar...

Over a span of a week and a half I have courteously emailed UE 3 times regarding this matter and they haven't even had the decency to reply. Is this how they treat all their customers?

Jan 30, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 25
Generally they are pretty good but looks like they fell on the face with this one. Sorry to hear your troubles.

-Chris

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 25
I had the cable on my super.fi 3's die twice, and they responded to my email very quickly and I had free new cables in less than a week both times, so they seem pretty good to me. sorry about your problems though

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 25
wow. okay, looks like Shure has gained the lead. thanks for the tip.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 25
This is why I like Etymotic. They ship free eartips if you ask and they don't charge anything for repairs, and they ship everything UPS for free, and I live in the UK and I get all of that from them.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 25
Have you made any effort to contact the company about repair or replacement under warranty? Looks like right now you're attempting to fix them yourself, and when more problems occur, you're blaming Ultimate Ears, when in fact I'm sure they were willing to help you out as soon as their product became defective. And if I'm wrong and they don't fix this situation, it sucks for them since they'll be getting a lot of bad publicity from here, not to mention they'll lose a good deal of sales here.

Jan 30, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #11 of 25
tongue.gif
granodemostas: whoa, thanks for the info. I own some ety's and I didn't know that.

Adam P: sorry about your trouble. Its weird taht the company that makes the UE10's would have problems with its lower line. ...and did you mean snubbed?
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 25
I have found them VERY helpful with customer service requests. They sent me 20 free foams because I ruined my included set, a new cable when mine got a knick in it, and a full set of eartips, so you should e-mail them and I'm pretty sure they'll make things right (unless you ruined them more with your tape-job).

Try mdias@ultimateears.com (I think)

I'm sure other people around here know some of their other staff members e-mail address's also.

Jan 30, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 25
I'm really suprised to hear this. Their customer service is generally impeccable. If I might ask, who did you address the emails to?

EDIT:
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
Try mdias@ultimateears.com (I think)

No, Mike Dias isn't in the service dept. PM me and I'll give you an address.

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 25
BRBJackson:
superficare@ultimateears.com is where I have been emailing... if you could give me a reps personal email I would really appreciate it.

MD1032:
I was contacting them about seeing if anything can be done about the headphones under warranty seeing as they are about 4 months old. When the headphone started coming apart I just taped them so I could keep using them... this was about 2 weeks before the cord developed issues (which obviously made the headphones unusable)... this is when I decided to file the claim.

xluben:
My tape job would not have ruined them at all. I used an exacto knife to cut a strip of electric tape lengthwise into 1/3s. I just wrapped the tape around the outside of the headphone to prevent the headphone from splitting further.

iSleipnir:
I'm pretty sure I meant 'snuffed'... http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snuffed but 'snubbed' may be appropriate as well http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=snubbed
tongue.gif

To all the others... the Super.Fi 5's are really great headphones... amazing sound. Durability-wise I'm not so confident though... customer service-wise I guess I'll have to see.

Jan 30, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 25
Another comment:

I had a very similar situation regarding the purchase of some super.fi 3's. I emailed them 'cause I wanted these quite a bit but was awestruck that they wanted to gouge me 40USD to ship these things to Canada.

They got back to me instantly and apologized that they were working on their shipping to international customers and yadda yadda.

They did chop off a tiny bit of cash off the shipping (35USD from 40USD 2day air).

I do agree that thier shipping costs outside of the US are insanity but I have nothing poor to say regarding the customer service as a whole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back