So Torn....
Apr 11, 2004 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

reeseboisse

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, here's the deal: I have $140. Should I go for instant gratification and buy some E2s / pre-owned E3s, or should I wait a while until I've built the savings to go all the way for the E5?

Or should I forget about canalphones altogether, and get a full size portable with good isolation?

Agghhh, I need opinions!

Apr 11, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 10
The decision to buy a earcanal phone should be based on your uses and requirements. If you are planning to listen to music in a very noisy environment, isolation earphones might be the best solution. Isolation headphones have other hassles which normal full size headphones don't have such as wire rubbing and the annoying process of inserting and removing the phones.

If you need a lot of isolation, I recommend spending the extra money for ER-4 or E5. If you can get a used ER-4P for like less than $200, that might be worth your while.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Well the reason I didn't include any Eytmotics is simply because I don't like their sonic signature. I find it too analytical and light on bass. Maybe my ears are "wrong", but that's what I gathered when I listened to them.

As such, I'm going for Shures. I'm just not Shure which one yet.

Heheh.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Did you listen to them using the foamies or tri flanges? There is a lot more bass with the foamies. Etys tend to be flatter in response than the Shures. The shures seem to boost the mids more.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 10
Why not buying now some used E3, then gather money for the E5, then sell the E3 more or less for the same price you bought them and finally get the E5?

Or - better - save some money now and buy a pair of used E5!

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by DJGeorgeT
Did you listen to them using the foamies or tri flanges? There is a lot more bass with the foamies. Etys tend to be flatter in response than the Shures. The shures seem to boost the mids more.

I actually used both, and made sure I had a good seal. I still just found them to be not to my taste. I would believe that the Ety's response curve is flatter than the Shures' but I still would prefer a coloration that I find euphonic over perfect accuracy.

And greenhorn, if you can find a used pair of E5s for $140, I'd be shocked. Ecstatic, but still shocked.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by reeseboisse
greenhorn, if you can find a used pair of E5s for $140, I'd be shocked. Ecstatic, but still shocked.

No, I meant buy a pair of used E*3*, not used E5 for your current money...

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 10
you could save another 760 dollars and get the UE-10 Ultimate ear personal monitors.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back