So today I got my brother's record player...thing.
Mar 2, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doubleLL: Aside from the fact that there also are P-Mount versions of the Grado Silver & Gold, the point is that an AT-PL50 is an absolute rock bottom entry level turntable (the only even worse option would be something like that: elta GmbH: Produktdetails 1237), which supports no other cartridge than the one that's already integrated into the fixed custom headshell and which also doesn't offer any adjustment possibilities. So nothing against the Grado Silver and Gold in general or against putting a comparatively expensive cartridge on a comparatively cheap turntable in general - but in the specific case of an AT-PL50 (and quite a few similar models of the same class, as mentioned above) it just makes no sense...

The links to the description and picture of the AT-PL50 on Amazon and to the manual were given above (although the latter didn't work for me), and I'd think that anyone who has at least a tad of experience with record players should be able to identify a "toy class turntable" at first sight. So I could only figure that you didn't even bother to waste one glance in order to check what the talk was about - hence my rather sarcastic reply...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Allright LINI,your sharp and quick wit intellegence has beat me this time.I give up ,you're the winner.OK,let me articulate on my suggestion.Since I knew the TT was cheap,it is a Audio Technica brand and that is why I was suggesting to Stealthycow to upgrade his cartridge .The Grado silver and gold are not realy high priced cartridges,and Grados are known for great sound and not extravegant prices.I wanted this person to understand the importance of a good cartridge and stylus.Those stock cartidges on the lower priced TTs are going to hold back the potential of his lps.He could buy the other Grados on the lower priced scale such as the green,black ,red or whatever.Maybe even a Shure m97xe cartridge,or a better Audio Techica.After a little while a beginer will want to upgrade to a more superior TT anyway.Also he would be better off selling the cheap TT now, and upgrading altogether,but this is the first TT this person has gotten to know and he may want to keep it for a while.A upgraded cartridge on that TT will make the listening a lot nicer than that toy cartridge ,but if you can't adjust the counterweight on the tone arm or even set another cartridge properly,I would suggest upgrading altogether now.I assumed since it was a Audio Technica brand,the manufacturers would have left room for improvement instead of a set and untouchable deseign.I think the latest cheap belt drive Technics SL-BD20 is upgradable. If I ever do make another suggestion I will take that into account.Geetings again from the US of A

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he should do what it takes to get it spinning vinyl. A careful setup will give decent results, even with modest gear.

Almost everyone starts with a modest rig and works up. If the OP enjoys this 'table, he will stick with vinyl. Getting people started is the important part.

This is also what I am trying to articulate.But if that TT is a unimprovable design,my suggestion was out of bounds.My first real hi -fi setup was a Garrard 440with a Pickering cartridge ,a cheap bottom of the line model they offerd with a Sansui AU101 INTEGRATED AMP that was their lowest on the line that was hooked up to KLH 2 way set of speakers .My father gave it to me for Christmas and I was happy as I could be with it and all of my freinds in the neighborhood thought it was the greatest there was.The year was 1975,and there was a ton of stuff superior to what I had but it was mine and I thought nothing was better.My older brother moved to California that year and he left behind a nearly new Sony TT but I did not want it ,my Garrard was mine and I ruined alot of lps with it, but I thought it was the greatest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back