So this is the Grado sound! How do RS-2's compare to SR-60's?
Mar 22, 2007 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Zaurusman

New Head-Fier
So my new SR-60's came in today. They're replacing standard Sandisk earbuds and Sony MDR-V100's so old that they may predate Stonehenge. The tight bass, clearer highs w/o lisp ... I don't think I had an "eargasm" but after an audition with Def Leppard, Dido, The Sisters of Mercy's Some Girls Wander by Mistake (my GOD, I now fully appreciate their raw earlier years and I was already a Sisters fan!) and Nickelback I could almost stop right here!

That said ... Who can contrast and compare the RS-2's to the SR-60's? You know, just outta curiosity...

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take it from a guy who knows:

Just buy a pair of RS-1s or PS-1s and get it over with!

rs1smile.gif

not necessarily! Search for the recent threads on the RS-2!

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not necessarily! Search for the recent threads on the RS-2!

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt. Preferred the RS-1s.

Truth be told, I like all of the phones in the Grado line except for the 325s and 125s. But none of them do it for me quite like the RS-1s do.

The only Grado phone I have not yet heard or owned is a PS-1. I have a gut feeling that the PS-1s would impress me even more than the RS-1s.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 41
No way! The RS-2's are already pushing the budget hard, and whenever I argue the price of RS-1's it mentions all my other hobbies that'll suffer and I shut up. I have better impulse control than the rest of you.

Nyah nyah!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

...Truth be told, I like all of the phones in the Grado line except for the 325s and 125s....

Ha, how did those two randomly displease you, and the 225s were okay for you?
What did you not like about them?

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaurusman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way! The RS-2's are already pushing the budget hard, and whenever I argue the price of RS-1's it mentions all my other hobbies that'll suffer and I shut up. I have better impulse control than the rest of you.

Nyah nyah!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't be ashamed about the RS-2, seriously look up those threads! It is one of the most under-appreciated cans on head-fi!

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 41
I read the threads before I even dropped cash on the SR-60's and they cemented my interest. I've researched them (in theory) a lot here on Head-Fi. But back to my original question, how do they compare to the SR-60's? That's far more useful to me than an RS-1 vs. RS-2 conversation because I can actually test the SR-60's on different music, etc.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Take it from a guy who knows:
Just buy a pair of RS-1s or PS-1s and get it over with!
rs1smile.gif

Larry, you're now a member of team alessandro. how do you like your ms-2s?

personally i prefer the alessandro ms-pro over the rs-1 due to it's superior tonality.

for the OP, the rs-2 will give you more of everything compared to the sr-60 - clearly a superior phone and if you like grados it's likely you'll be impressed with the rs-2. whether or not you'll think it worth the price differential is something only you can answer.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 41
I have the 60s and 225s. The sound is very similar, with the 225s being more refined, detailed, and musical. I think it's worth the money over the 60s, but it's definitely a unchanging Grado house sound, considering the two headphones look basically the same.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #12 of 41
Sorry i cannot compare/contrast these two for you as the RS2s were my entry into the Grado lineup, although surfice to say, they are an awesome musical experience ;-}

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_the_King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, how did those two randomly displease you, and the 225s were okay for you?
What did you not like about them?

For the record, nothing 'randomly displeases' me. The opinions I express here are a result of real world experience, and I always have a reason as to why I like or do not like a particular phone.

For me the 125s and 325s are the misfits in the current Grado lineup.

When you get into the 125s territory, you may as well spend a bit extra money to climb up to the 225s, which to my ears are considerably better sonically, and a better overall deal when we consider price vs performance.

Same goes for the 325s. I am a Grado fan for sure, but even I find the 325s to be a bit fatigueing and bright (especially so with solid state amplification). So at the 325s price point, I would spring for the extra money and go with the RS-2s which also best the 325s sonically as far as my ears are concerned.

I'm not saying the 125s and 325s are bad phones, it is just that they seem a bit out of place in the Grado line as far as I am concerned.

Having owned just about every model of Grado phones, MY ideal upgrade path through the Grado line would go like this:

SR-60 -> HF-1 (if you are lucky), otherwise SR-225 -> RS-1

Other comments:

Notice I didn't include the upgrade to the GS-1000s? Although they are nice phones, they really are a different animal when compared to the rest of the Grado lineup. And overall for the music I listen to most, I prefer the RS-1s to the GS-1000s.

Also, I have not yet heard the PS-1s. I strongly suspect that they would be a contender for the next upgrade from the RS-1s for me. But since there are only a handful of them in existence, discontinued and they normally sell for a kidney and a right leg plus Paypal fees and shipping, I don't forsee owning a pair any time soon.

With regard to the 325is, a great alternative to them are the Alessandro MS-2is. I prefer them much more than the 325is.

But hey what do I know? I can't even chew through a 3-foot rope.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #14 of 41
Lmilhan I'm almost 100% sure you would like the PS-1 more than the RS-1s. Try to find one. Seriously. I prefer the HP-2 to any Grado (or maybe to any headphone) for my tastes, but the PS-1 has the RS-1 sound with better balance, refinement, and detail.

It still rocks every bit as much as the RS-1

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, you're now a member of team alessandro. how do you like your ms-2s?

I really dig 'em! I like them considerably more than the 325is.

I honestly do need to get around to auditioning a pair of MS-Pros one of these days! Tis on my 'to-do' list for sure!

rs1smile.gif

I digress.

For the OP: If you are really digging the SR-60s, there is no doubt that you will be very happy with the RS-2s. But you may find yourself thinkg 'hmmm I wonder how much better the RS-1s sound'. This is the way of Head-Fi. It is called upgrade-itus, and it can often times seem like a curse.

That's why I originally said get the RS-1s and get it over with (kind of tongue-in-cheek). In the time that I owned the RS-2s, I really did enjoy them. But something just keeps bringing me back to the RS-1s - I can't escape their woody grasp.

From an SR-60 to a pair of RS-2s is a heck of an upgrade I tell you! The RS-2s certainly do have their loyal fans (rightly so), and some even prefer the RS-2s to the RS-1s. So I say go for it! I doubt you will be disappointed. I love spending other people's money.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back