So they broke again =( what now?
Sep 5, 2007 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cooldude1015

Head-Fier
Hey guys!

So my second set of Shure e2cs broke again. It seems like these have a 1 year lifespan.

Anyways, now I'm looking for a new set.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've heard some pretty good stuff about the Shure se530s so maybe I'll get those next.

But before that, could I get some suggestions?

My budget is about $400 and I listen to primarily pop rock, alternative, rock, etc. I do occasionally listen to pop music as well.

I'm basically looking for a good set of IEMs that give the the sensation of being there when I close my eyes.

I really liked the e2cs when I had them but now I want to go to the next step.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 21
Get Livewires!!! I did!

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 21
Wow, you guys even respond at 2 am in the morning. Impressive.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the two suggestions. But I've been hearing all this stuff about headphone amps and how they make a huge difference. Should I go that way? Buy a headphone amp and spend less on IEMs? I've never had experience with amps so I don't really know what they do for your music.

Thanks!

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 21
When my E2c's broke (again) as well (cable cracks), I went with the E500's -- purchased off a member here for well under your desired price of $400. They only have arrived today, so I'm not ready for a 'true' review, but I am absolutely amazed by them.

As a person who has gone through pretty much the exact same thing as you, I highly recommend the E500's / SE530's.

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooldude1015 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, you guys even respond at 2 am in the morning. Impressive.
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the two suggestions. But I've been hearing all this stuff about headphone amps and how they make a huge difference. Should I go that way? Buy a headphone amp and spend less on IEMs? I've never had experience with amps so I don't really know what they do for your music.

Thanks!

It was only 1145pm my time. I am usually up late. The only time I get to chill with a family
cool.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 21
If you do a little hunting, you might be able to buy E500s new for about $280 off eBay. I bought mine that way when I upgraded from E2Cs. That'll leave you $120 toward an amp or whatever else you might want.

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do a little hunting, you might be able to buy E500s new for about $280 off eBay. I bought mine that way when I upgraded from E2Cs. That'll leave you $120 toward an amp or whatever else you might want.

I would agree. The se530s and the e500 are very similar and both require an amp. If you go with the less expensive e500s you can put more money towards an amp.

Sep 5, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 21
My experience with E2Cs is similar to cooldude's. I have replaced 3 pair thus far. The cable on the first pair split. The 2nd and 3rd pair each developed a short in the left channel. I am very gentle with them too, especially after the 1st pair failed! I don't know what the critical factor is. Maybe it is how they are worn and how often? I always have the cables over my ears and down my chest. I typically use them daily 2 times for about 1 hour each (my commute). I coil them loosely when putting them away. Don't really know why they would fail, but I'm very glad Shure has such a great warranty!

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The se530s and the e500 are very similar

They are not just 'very similar'. They are the exact same product with different model #'s.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by penger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my e2c's for almost 3 years now, and they have yet to crack/break.

Me too...Not a mark on mine. Odd how differently they wear....

Sep 6, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 21
Wow, you guys with the old e2cs must have gotten really lucky.

In the past year I've rarely used my pair but it seems like they break all on their own. I don't store them in the vinyl case because that's apparently bad for the cable.

But, before I started using them again this past week they were just sitting in my desk for 2-3 months.

I don't remember why my first ones broke I just know that the left ear piece just started playing significantly lower than my right ones.

This one broke because the cable got disconnected on the bend close to my left ear.

I really wish I could redo the warranty but I can't seem to find my old receipt for the warranty.
frown.gif

Anyways, thanks a lot for the suggestions. It seems like the se530s need an amp to play well, could suggestion one perhaps? I've only heard of the Tomahawk.

Also, what do you guys think about the Atrio 5Ms?

Thanks again!

Edit: Oh yeah, I wear my shures around my ears then down my chest. Maybe that's the reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back