so the entire Year Zero has leaked..
Apr 6, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 14
The whole album is actually also availble to stream from yearzero.nin.com. I've listened to the first 6 songs so far and I am enjoying it. Nothing extremely crazy or revolutionary, but its enjoyable.

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 14
BTW, the version that's streaming on the NIN website is pretty high quality (256kbps MP3, wrapped in FLV).

I actually really love the album. I wasn't so gung-ho on a handful of the pre-release songs (except Survivalism and In This Twilight), but a number of the other tracks on the full album are excellent (e.g. Capital G). As a whole, the album really flows, great atmosphere. I think it's fantastic.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 14
I've skimmed through the album and I'm digging the maximalist glitch/noise production on some tracks (ex. chorus of "My Violent Heart," the second half of "The Great Destroyer"). Not enough albums use squelches with beats... Kinda reminds me of Aphex Twin.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 14
001.png

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard any other whole NIN album though, so I've got no basis for comparison.

SAY WHAT!?
blink.gif

You got alot of work to do my friend.

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've skimmed through the album and I'm digging the maximalist glitch/noise production on some tracks ~... Kinda reminds me of Aphex Twin.

I like this; kind of like how many nin fans thought "The Fragile", would sound after "The Perfect Drug".

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #11 of 14
The Good Soldier is quickly becoming one of my favorite NIN songs.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #13 of 14
Yeah, not really digging it much. It starts to get better from track 6 on, but he's done better than this.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #14 of 14
IMO,Year zero is a step in the right direction. It's no masterpiece, but is certainly a breath of fresh air after the extremely dissapoointing with teeth.

Expectations play a big role in my ability to appreciate something though. I was expecting the worst, and this album is quite good. The lyrics are still more linear and literal than we've seen from Trent in the past, but are decent. There are some classic NIN sound paradigms in this album, whose reappearance I appreciate without being a straight regurgitation of older albums.

I've been listening to it fairly steadily for the past few days, almost all of which has been passive listening - and the album seems substantially varied without having any overly horrible tracks. I think I would have dug a slightly more introspective album from Trent - they tend to make for more subtlety. This seems to be a "funner" album than some of the previous ones (note that I am not even acknowledging with teeth here), and if this truly is going to be part one of a larger project, I think we can expect more atmosphere and subtlety in future chapters.

All conjecture and opinion though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back