So, that's what I've been missing (Cd vs. iPod)
Apr 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nycbone

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't used a CD player since purchasing my first iPod in 2002 (the 1st touch wheel model).

I recently 'upgraded' to a 4G nano and a classic 120GB and re-ripped all of my CDs using iTunes/Apple lossless (a pain, to be sure) - assuming I would achieve 'CD-quality' sound.

I've also reactivated my vinyl collection (stored carefully for 20+ years) recently and have since recognized that vinyl SQ is vastly superior to anything coming from an iPod - even with my middle of the road vinyl rig. It has become increasingly difficult to listen to the iPod unless I have to (e.g., commuting to work).

So... just for laughs, I purchased a refurbished Marantz CD5001.

I know that it's also middle of the road (I will always be a dedicated budget-fi guy.), but it absolutely blows the iPod/Apple lossless combination away. Everything is clear, crisp, subtle when it needs to be, punchy when it needs to be - in short... musical. It doesn't match vinyl SQ, but I now enjoy listening to my digital sources again.

My remaining iPod is now relegated to life on the road. That's all it's good for.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has become increasingly difficult to listen to the iPod unless I have to (commuting to work).

My Sansa Fuze's function apart from convenience with ebook and language study is mainly as a s.t.f.u. device at the workplace. After upgrading my vinyl, I'll be shopping for a top quality cassette Walkman and start enjoying portable all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back