So, sony S739- some help please.
Nov 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

soyama

Head-Fier
Hey.
My first post, unfortunatly a ask for help post!
smily_headphones1.gif
sad but it happens!

Anyways, let me present my pitifull issue.

Im tired of having my big and heavy Iphone stuck in my pocket, when I'm not using it as a phone..

Soo, I need a new mp3player, I think I've landed on Sony's S739, the 16gb version, this I've read myself out and about on, and I can't find much fault about it.

What I value in my player is Sound quality as a first, seems this sony is a good choice at that.
Secondly, I want good storage, 16gb should do, it's what my current Iphone has, wich is full, but I can learn to remove stuff I don't listen to.

I want the battery to last a while, 40hours as stamped on this one seems good enough.
I use my mp3player for an average of 7 hours pr day.. I like my music
wink.gif

The weight of the player seems nice, the size is ok also.
I don't use radio or video, so that's not important.
What is important to me is how the music sounds, so my concern about this one, the in box earbuds... Any experiences with them? Are they solid?

The noiseremoval feature is a bonus to this player, and would be nice to exploit to its fullest potential, unless ofcourse it interferes with music quality..

What I use daily, atm.. Is a pair of AKG K324p's, some semicheap in-ear buds.
Also have a pair of shure e3c's, wich I like the sound of, but not the silicon passform, they tend to fall out of my ears. When I move about that is.
The foamtips are better, but they are slow to get in place.. and look horrible
biggrin.gif

Also, the left channel of my shure's are not performing as it should, but I don't think I can get a refund on that, as they function, just not optimally.. The left channel is like 40% lower in volume compared to right channel..
My third set is a pair of sony mdr-ex71 or sumting, wich I like, but my girlfriend stole
wink.gif

I would like nothing better than to hear that this set wich follows the s739 will kick out my akg's and perhaps even the shure's, but Im uncertain, if anyone could shed some light on that situation please.

Also, on a sidenote, I've ordered myself a fiio amp, for the fun of it
wink.gif
So my options expands a little I guess.

Thanks guys!

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 9
I'll only just mention 1 thing about the S73X series from Sony. They have excellent SQ, and the battery life is excellent. BUT, since it's a feature you desire, I'll warn you about the noise canceling feature. It will ONLY work with the Sony headphones that come w/the player, NOT w/any others. The player will drive your headphones w/no problem though. I believe that the shure e3c is 26ohm, sensitive, but not overly. I'm listing the cnet reviews so that you can browse the players, and IEM's specs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/...?tag=mncol;lst

Shure E3c (white) Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the reply mister
smily_headphones1.gif

Yah, I knew about the plugs, seems I failed to mention it.
Im not buying the player for the feature, but its a bonus when I think about which player to buy
smily_headphones1.gif

Therefore my concern on the in-box earbuds, if they suck, its a better to buy a cheaper version with same sq and batterytime/storage.
I belive there is a a638 out there? or a a829 for about the same amount.
my e3c experience has been abit bad, the first set lasted about a month, then right audiochannel died, bad connection in the plug.. got a new set, and 2months later left channel drops 40% in performance.. sad stuff, they provide nice clear audio thou

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Erm, there is no A638. If you're talking about the newest Sony player without BT then it's the S638. Regarding the in-box headphones, I think they should be similar to the ones that come with the S638. They're okay, but nothing special. I listen with E4cs and only use the pack-ins when i'm listening to podcasts.

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 9
sad to hear it Insicor. But I don't really buy it for the noise cancel function
wink.gif
so its no big deal either!
smily_headphones1.gif

Appreciate all feedback and corrections
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 9
If the noise canceling feature isn't something you'll use, the get the S63X instead. Decent earphones, and the SQ is great. There really should be no "Decision" to make.

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 9
Problem was, where I live, s639 is more expensive than s739, by quite abit, but as it is, my girl is out of country
biggrin.gif
and she got it quite abit cheaper there, so Im getting a s639 tomorrow.

Ah, can't wait for my new toy
wink.gif

Quite silly actually, since I have 3 functioning mp3players.. 128mb, 8gb and 16gb.
All with their errors/hardwarefaults and problems thou.
Now I'm hoping to hear a nice improved sound tomorrow afternoon!
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by soyama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem was, where I live, s639 is more expensive than s739, by quite abit, but as it is, my girl is out of country
biggrin.gif
and she got it quite abit cheaper there, so Im getting a s639 tomorrow.

Ah, can't wait for my new toy
wink.gif

Quite silly actually, since I have 3 functioning mp3players.. 128mb, 8gb and 16gb.
All with their errors/hardwarefaults and problems thou.
Now I'm hoping to hear a nice improved sound tomorrow afternoon!
wink.gif

I just wanted to say congrats, and enjoy your new toy when it arrives. Your really gonna' enjoy it.

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been looking at reviews etc for months now. So hope so!
biggrin.gif

And I hope my current in-ear phones work well with the player..
Else I might have to find myself a headset wich does work well
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back