So, Shure SE110's... What the heck. (canada)
Dec 9, 2008 at 2:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

0mega

New Head-Fier
I bought a pair, 60 bucks, brand new, with replacement plan from best buy (Woo discount. )

They sucked. I hated every moment i used them. The skull candy titans I bought my friend for christmas sound better. And were half the price.

So they went back.

Any recommendations under 100 IN CANADA incase you missed the thread title
wink.gif

Over the head, in ear, whatever. I want something that sounds nice. I came to these from a 25 dollar pair of JBL reference 410's that I loved. (AKG K27i's)

Music: Rock, metal(Classic, heavy, screamo, whatever. ), some techno/house/trance

Off to make a thread for some nice speakers too... Stupid logitech crap.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
*feels sorry for wallet already.*

Dec 9, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 12
Since I'm assuming you have a 30 day return poliacy on your headphones, I suggest you try listening to the SE110 a little bit longer as I don't believe you have even burned the headphones in. Allow the headphones to burn in during you return period and after roughly 100hours of continuous play they should be sounding at around max performance. If you still dont like them, then return them.

I STRONGLY suggest not to buy headphones from Futureshop and/or bestbuy as the majority of the stuff they sell is overpriced. (the HD555 at futureshop are $202.99, i bought them at NewEgg for $120 SHIPPED tax includd.)

As for recommendations, I suggest you look at the JVC Marshmellow (FX33-34) or the JVC FX66's. Or check out some Sennheiser products, CX300, PXC150, and HD555 (its a little over $100.).

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Personally, I wouldn't get any lower end Shure products. Most people will argue that they lack in bass, and I'm one of them.

Also, buying in Futureshop or bestbuy, isn't the best idea. They just force you to buy Bose, Skullcandy, or other headphones that are overpriced for what you get. Things like the Ink'd isn't so cheap in Canada. I saw it in shelves for 29.99 + tax. Considering the price, it's not even close to be worth getting. Another thing is, Canadian stores sell Sennheiser CX300 for $99, when you can easily get them under $40 in America. My point is, shopping online is far better.

The Canadian stores have horrible choices, and isn't worth investing your time.

Also, if you want us to recommend you products, you might as well tell us what you like in music, like bass, treble, clarity, etc.

Dec 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 12
SE110 is pretty much the same thing as Shure E2c which a dead rat sounds better than.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Kay, I know best buy has horrible prices, I work here and am currently posting from a terminal.

I had AKG k27i's which had some pretty clear, but strong bass which was a nice refreshing change from every other pair of headphones I have tried. I liked them a lot and can get a new pair for 25 but want to experiment a bit.

How about the Philips SHE9850's? I can get them for under 60 right now...

I looked for the FX33-s and 66-s but can't find em
frown.gif

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 12
Hey hey hey, I like my Shure SE110 alot... I sounds almost perfect to me. Its defiantly not for everyone, because some of my music does sound quite brutal on these..

Dec 10, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffy1207 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low end Shures are rarely (if ever) reccomended round these parts by the experienced folk.

To be honest, I bought them based off the review on gizmodo (Terrible, I know. ) because I forgot head fi existed when I went to get them... I regret it greatly.

Dec 10, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0mega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I bought them based off the review on gizmodo (Terrible, I know. ) because I forgot head fi existed when I went to get them... I regret it greatly.

I agree (mostly). The Shure IEMs aren't worth buying (sound-quality-wise) unless you are willing to spend more than $200 USD (>$250 CDN) per set.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Damn I wish I'd read this a couple of weeks ago.

I bought a super-cheap set of JVC canal buds from Dixons at Heathrow Airport (UK) a few weeks ago, and was astonished at how good (relatively) they sounded for the £17 price tag. They weren't anywhere near as horrible as I thought they'd be.

Anyway I foolishly lost them after the trip, so on flying out of Heathrow again last week I thought I'd replace them, but got tempted by the Head-Fi upgrade bug. "Well," I thought, "if the £17 JVC's sound OK, maybe if I spend a little more I'll get something that sounds pretty good."
I didn't have long so I quickly summed up the options, and decided to go with the Shure SE110 which was priced at £60 and, like the JVC's, came with a selection of buds for different size ear canals, plus a zipped nylon case to keep them in (big deal!).
I accidentally tore the outer packaging in my hurry to get into it, and so threw it in the bin and got on my flight. Big mistake!

The Shures were massively disappointing: Firstly, the design. They are large and unergonomic. They go in 'upside down', in that the cable comes out the top and is supposed to loop over the ear. The trouble is that in trying to loop the stiff, microphonic, high-memory cable over your ear, you pull the buds out and have to start again. Also the permanent cable is so short that the included extension cable literally must be used, unless you put your portable player in a shirt pocket, and even then you'd better not move your head! This is ridiculous and only serves to add unnecessary weight.
In contrast, the £17 JVC's were small and light; the super soft cable came out the traditional way (at the bottom) which made fitting a breeze, and didn't suffer from 'kink memory' at all. (I actually used these as IEM's on a gig playing drums because I forgot my moulds, and they were fine. They didn't fall out and they isolated well enough.)

Anyway after several minutes of fiddling and faffing I finally got them fitted and started to play some music. It sounded sh1t. I know that's not very technical and pretty non-specific, but it's the most appropriate term in this case - everything just sounded plain sh1t!

There's a distinct lack of bass and the treble suffers a similar lack of extension, but the mids are the most disappointing, sounding shouty and unnatural - God forbid a saxophone appears in the track, you'll be diving for the volume control! Also they were pretty quiet which meant I had to set the volume on my N95 at 90 or 100%, which isn't good for battery life and leaves little headroom for EQ (I did try to dial in some of what I thought was missing using the media player's graphic equalizer, but with little success - if the drivers can't do it, they can't do it).

Honestly, how Shure can put their name to this product, and set the retail price so high, I will never understand. I feel I have been conned and will never trust the brand again. I could've bought 3 sets of the JVC's and still had enough change to buy a CD to listen to!!
Of course Shure's high end stuff is great - but to be honest Ultimate Ears will most likely get the sale next time I upgrade my pro IEM's.

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #12 of 12
These guys are in Markham and they have some d-Jays and Grado SR-60s just over $100. STEREOTYPE AUDIO

I've not heard the d-Jays but it's been reviewed here I think. I have put on SR-60s and they sound quite amazing (I was using Sony buds at the time and the Grados brought out mids and highs that the Sony's just slaughtered!). One (big) catch is the Grados are open - you'll have no isolation and everyone will hear your music.

If you're in the TO area go to Bay Bloor - they have about 50 different sets of headphones (incl IEMs) that you can try out in the store.

Perhaps someone can comment on the iGrados? I've not tried them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back