So now that I've had some time with my MS-1i's
Sep 21, 2009 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SpoolinEclipse

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting upgraditis, Damnit. I really love these headphones for Rock, but I find they really do nothing for my Trance selection anymore, the sound is great but I think I enjoy more of a sound stage for that genre of music. I will most likely be selling My MS-1's to a local friend if I upgrade. Are there any other phones around 200-300 that would be a worthwhile upgrade for Trance and Rock with maybe a larger soundstage but still amazing details like the MS-1s?

Been looking at a few choices:

Beyer DT440
AKG K701 ( Don't know how they would sound but they certainly look nice!)
Maybe a higher up Grado/Alessandro model? MS-2i/325i's etc
Any other reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 10
With 325i you probably lose the soundstage you're after, and with some beyers you might lose out for rock. I'd cross the K701s off the list right away.

I was in the same boat, except I wanted something for chillout instead of trance, and I decided to try DT880s. For trance, I might try DT990 or 770 instead. *But,* they might not be up to par of the MS1s for rock. I'm keeping my MS1s for other stuff so it's not an issue for me, but ify you're getting rid of yours, not sure. Maybe some denons?
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoolinEclipse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any other phones around 200-300 that would be a worthwhile upgrade for Trance and Rock with maybe a larger soundstage but still amazing details like the MS-1s?

Sounds like the MS1000 to me

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks Userland, I was afraid it wasn't going to be an easy pick and choose for what i'm after >_< I will check out the Beyer models you mentioned.

And Jag, I totally want to do the MS1000 mod, There are just no suppliers here in the states for the cups or distancers , otherwise I think it would be perfect for what i'm after. I don't have any wood working tools myself or I'd give it a try, nor do I know any buddies in the buisness. I'll probably keep the MS-1s, since they are so amazing at the price point for Rock and still other genre's. Damn you Upgraditis
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have cups and distancers, $100 plus shipping for both and that's made from the best Philippine wood called Magkono. Drop me a pm if interested.

Thanks - I've already plunked down for the DT880s, so when those get here and I can evaluate them I'll know whether I'm going to go for the ms1000 mod instead.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 10
While I have not done the MS-1000 mod, my "MS-100" mod is close to that (just not the jumbo pads). But, I will not say that the increase in the sound stage is significant. The Grado sound signature is super direct, and you are just not going to get a wide sound stage from them.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't enjoy your MS-1i and how they present whatever genre you like. I'm just saying that if you want a wide sound stage from your phone, you might want to look at something that is know to produce that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back