So now just playing a CD in a CD player isn't good enough.
Apr 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bigshot

Headphoneus Supremus

Apr 11, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 12
Ok, I only watched 4 minutes of that (which I'll never get back), but seriously if they are using this to promote their new audio reproduction system then they really need to get their recording and mixing sorted. The sound quality of that video was amateurish at best, and that's giving it credit where it's probably not due.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 12
I like the review at the bottom of the page. They basically say that this player is less clumsy than the company's previous model.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 12
I like the review at the bottom of the page. They basically say that this player is less clumsy than the company's previous model.

From the top of the last page of the actual review, and this for a $6,000 device:

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/ps-audio-directstream-memory-player/?page=3

PS AUDIO DIRECTSTREAM MEMORY PLAYER

During my time with the DirectStream Memory Player I found it to be about 99.9% reliable, although it did exhibit a few command and control glitches when playing one or two DVD-Audio discs (e.g., Buena Vista Social Club [Nonesuch], where the Player had problems identifying track boundaries). Even so, the remote let me quickly sort our workarounds so that the disc could be played. :thinking:

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #7 of 12
I think we need to hear what their tech guy has to say!

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Sounds like snake oil...

Yep, typical audiophile marketing nonsense: A lot of true statements/facts, the odd false statement/fact and more importantly, the omission of certain critical facts. For example:

Yes, everyone does now know that the timing of the bits is critical. The part they've omitted is that not only do we know this now but we've known it since the 1960's and, the specific amount of timing error (jitter) that's critical has been publicly available since the early 1970's. How come PS Audio recently discovered what everyone else (the industry/scientific community) knew decades earlier ... severe ignorance, incompetence or just marketing BS? Then, they spent the last 8 years solving that issue, which is great ... or rather it would be great if:
1. The issue hadn't already been solved many years earlier and was already pretty much ubiquitous in mass market products even before PS Audio started working on it!
2. Their solution was audibly better than the existing solution, which apparently it isn't because their solution only brings CD closer to the quality/level of high resolution audio, while the existing/traditional solutions brings CD to the same quality/level as high resolution audio.
3. Their solution was cheaper, which also apparently it isn't, in fact it's about a hundred times more expensive!

In other words, they recently discovered the importance of the wheel, they then reinvented the wheel and it's going to cost you about $6,000 for the privilege of owning this reinvented wheel, instead of the $60 or so it would cost you for a better performing, traditional wheel! We commonly see this sort of thing in the audiophile world: Bespoke, esoteric designs/solutions that are actually audibly the same or lower fidelity than some/many mass market products but massively more expensive, Audiophile amps, DACs and cables particularly.

G

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 12
I have to admit that the guy giving the technical talk with hawaiian shirt and shorts and ZZ Top beard cuts a natty figure!

Apr 20, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 12
I have to admit that the guy giving the technical talk with hawaiian shirt and shorts and ZZ Top beard cuts a natty figure!

The way he laughs at his own jokes makes that figure perfect. Audio people tend to be eccentric. Normal engineers want to work with wind turbines and G5 transmitters. Things that matter. Normal people don't worry about picosecond differences in jitter.

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 12
The way he laughs at his own jokes makes that figure perfect. Audio people tend to be eccentric. Normal engineers want to work with wind turbines and G5 transmitters. Things that matter. Normal people don't worry about picosecond differences in jitter.
Hobbyists in general are usually eccentric....add an engineering degree and you've got real potential:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back