So now I've got the HD 800's... what next?
Apr 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #31 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One aspect of a pair of cans like the HD800's is that every little thing downstream of them becomes crystal clear so they may make you end up rethinking your amp and source, and if you are in such a frame of mind, cables...God help you if you mention that here. But as far as the cans themselves go, as I said, where I'm concerned this is the end of the line. Please exit to the rear for musical nirvana. If you don't like what you are hearing at that point, and the rest of your system is well sorted, well then, you probably should find another hobby to fill your time.

Haha, I always laugh at the mention of cables. Not because of my distrust in them, but because of the heated debates surrounding them. I no doubt believe that cables do make a difference - I however am a firm believer that money should be spent on source/amplification first. Once the setup is complete, then comes headphone cables, then comes interconnects, then finally comes power cables.

I have traditionally sworn by cables made using OCC (Ohno Continuous Casting). With my previous speaker system I eventually ended up only with OCC cables... and this was after lots of swapping around, auditioning, and etc. They're not always the most affordable cables around, but they certainly don't carry insane four-five figure price tags either.

I do DIY my own cables for most part however in instances where I can source my own OCC cables for a decent price.

For my current setup my only immediate cable upgrade will be my interconnect between CD transport and amplifier. Everything else will stay as-is :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back