So my V-Moda's Duo Nero (for iPhone) arrived today..... :-(
Nov 4, 2007 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aphexii

500+ Head-Fier
Let me explain where I am coming from...

I currently have: Shure E500 IEM's & DT770's
Previously Owned: Westone UM2 & HD595

Since i primarily listen at home, I was hoping to "downgrade" the E500's and put some money towards a decent amp for the DT770's. I just can't justify the $250-$300 tied up in a portable pair that will get used so rarely. I love the sound, but would much rather a cheaper pair of IEM's ($100 or less) or even a portable headphone (maybe ES7?) Also, the E500 cable just annoys me. I dearly miss the cable of my UM2's, the E500 is just stiff and interferes.

Now, i know there wouldn't be much of a comparison, but maybe i'm looking at the wrong pair to downgrade to.

What I Enjoy (Don't we all?):
-Crisp Highs (Not bright, just crisp)
-Sweet Mids (though, not as important)
-Deep Bass (Tight/Crisp - I love the bass on the DT770s - the 595's were a bit lean)

I've been burning them in all day today (about 12 hours now) and to be honest, I really dislike the sound signature. Compared to my E500's (i know... I know) it sounds like someone took the E500 and placed a dirty sock over it, then jammed it in my ear. The bass is so bloated, it just doesn't comport to the type of music I enjoy. Also, I have to boost the treble so darn much, its just not gonna be possible for me to get anything I like out of these. Its like 95% bass, 5% mids and highs. To be honest, I prefer the sound of the stock apple buds to these
frown.gif
Should I give them more time to burn in?

So obviously I need something a bit cleaner, I listen to all types of music (Michael Buble, Yo-Yo Ma, Spoon, Akon - I run the gamut)

Is there anything portable around $100 that can do it? Part of the reason i would consider a non-IEM for the portable rig, is that I assume a non-IEM around $100 could do a better overall job of what I want than a comparably priced IEM.

Any opinions?

ES7's? - Good bass, but what about the highs for classical?
er6i's? - Good highs/mids, but no bass?

What to try next?

Nov 4, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 8
Maybe some Super.fi's?

You'll find the er6i's too lean.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 8
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried the Super.Fi's from ratshack but couldn't get a quality fit. I tried everything (different tips, different directions, etc) but they just don't fit my ears well enough to stay put.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 8
I bought some, and they were terrible sounding.

The current stock ipod headphones (ipod or 6gen, maybe 5.5 gen) are better.

Maybe the older vibes were better, as they have some rave reviews.

How long did you have the sf3's? I found mine hurt a lot the first few days but after a week, they fit perfectly. I dont even know i'm wearing them. Did you wear them with the wire over the ear?

I would go for the es7's.

Edit: Do you mean you are using the headphones for an iphone? If so a neat combo is the motorola s9's. With a bluetooth adapter, you can answer calls and listen to music. Bluetooth audio dosn't seem too big around here, but the s9 pair sounds much better than the vmoda's I tried.

Nov 5, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #7 of 8
yea, using with the iPhone... but i need something i can use on an airplane, so no go with the bluetooth.

And i had the SF3's for 2-3 days, but it wasn't even that they were uncomfortable, they wouldn't even stay in.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 8
Check out the Altec-Lansing im616s, which are about $80. They are an IEM, but feel comfy and sound great with foamies. I had the er6is, and the ALs sound better for about the same money, IMHO.

Also, the Yuin PK3 or PK2 ear buds are great SQ buds, but not right for airplane noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back