So my second pair of LCD-2 Cracked again, need advice for alternate high-end headphones
Feb 28, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:
My view is that there may be some hyperbole here.

There was no need for that. No doubt hyperbole is rife, but you don't know me, so why don't you leave it to everyone else to make up their minds.

I am at pains to point out that the LCD-2 is the exception for me, something that was really worth the money invested. This is all subject to the caveat that I haven't heard any of the cheaper orthodynamics nor many other headphones. I guess it's possible that I simply don't like the HD-650 all that much. Also I equalize the LCD-2 so their darkness, which I feel is their Achilles heel, is taken out of the equation.

By the way, I don't think your gear is modest. I have yet to hear electronics that make as much of a difference, which makes me a speakers first kind of guy. I got the Bryston second hand. The digital sources, I don't think I could reliably tell the stock Behringer DEQ2496 (€259), used as a DAC, from the more expensive Benchmark DAC1 or Metrum Octave. I've tried a few things and may sell some stuff again. I have no disrespect for your gear at all, since I have yet to find electronics that make a difference comparable to the LCD-2.

Feb 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #32 of 39
^ I meant no offense, so I apologise. To clarify, I don't think the LCD-2 is subpar, or even unworthy of the asking price. My point is the HD650 is a damn good headphone IMHO. It is bought and sold with regularity in the FS forums and it seems to retain its value well, so finding out if it matches your preferences shouldn't be too damaging. In other words, it's a safe bet.

Feb 29, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #33 of 39

Quote:
Victory! 
wink.gif
 Let us know how you find them after you've acclimatised.

ha, i mean, i don't want to show others who supported hifiman wrong, and it's probly my fault for including the hd 650 as a "high end" candidate, but i listened to the lcd-2 before it cracked and tbh I think i don't need to pay so much for the performance increase and wish the hd650 to hit my optimal/efficient utility function

Feb 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #34 of 39

Quote:
Or is the music we listen to a deciding factor? I currently enjoy mostly complex rock and pop recordings. I would concede that the LCD-2 (rev 1) in it's stock form can sound downright muffled with classical records. I counteract that with an equalizer. In fact I use the equalizer all the time and my comments ultimately apply with that in the chain, though I find the midband resolution of the LCD-2 quite independent of it. Still, I do find the LCD-2 does not always have the same advantage with classical music, especially when it's recorded in a big hall with lots of reverb like, for example, John Williams seems to favour for his film scores.

Can't really go along with the "downright muffled" bit as I listen to classical and film scores exclusively and find them to be very realistically balanced on the LCD-2, Rev 1. However, this is undoubtedly influenced by the amp. I've found the Rev1 to sound slightly (not downright) muffled on every amp I've tried save one: the Muse mini dac/amp (picture below--virtually identical with the Aune). This was the only amp that counteracted the Rev 1s slight treble reticence, partly by being a little brighter than average but mostly by being very open and resolving. A beautiful amp for the price and an absolute bargain for around $100 on Ebay. I also use a silver headphone lead. With this combination I'm rarely aware of the headphones. Occasionally I'll come across a recording that seems a little dull, but then I'll come across one that seems a little bright, so if I were to get a brighter headphone I'm sure many recordings would be over-bright for me. I should say that I tried every mid-price headphone going and found them all excruciatingly bright (and often horribly metallic!) save for the HD650, so I guess I have a particular sensitivity to treble and am not average in that regard. I'd be interested to hear a Rev2 but I'm not straining at the bit as the Rev1 just sounds so good 95% of the time. The other 5% I can suffer.  

Feb 29, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #37 of 39
So I just received the hd650, feed some patricia kaas to it,

I have to say the "downright weighted sound" of the Audez'e is definetely gone, but I have a feeling of someone who calls "veil" in some sound, maybe I just have to get used to the non bright signature

i'm pretty happy as of now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back