So, my SA6s just broke...
Feb 25, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jws919

New Head-Fier
Sitting in the lounge of my master's program, I'm listening to my SA6s. Someone taps me on the shoulder, I pull them out of my ear the same way I've done since July. I go to put them back in, and the right one has the chrome part stripped off, and the tube where you insert the treble ports has shattered. So confused as to how that could have happened, and very unhappy.

EDITED with new info:

Jason is taking care of it and I'll be getting my unit replaced. Apologies in my delay editing (life happens). This great experience with sleek support washes away some of that nasty aftertaste I had after my first run. Happy I'll have my sleeks working again shortly. Hopefully my first post didn't fuel anything too negative -- it's clear Jason and Sleek-Audio care about keeping customers happy.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 13
i am using the ne7m now and it is quite good though a different sort of listen to the sa6. it is only like 60$ or so so quite economical but that depends on you. it is not the strongest looking of constructions but at least it sounds quite good.

the zagg are not as good but are cheaper i think. ne7m for the price are worth the money and have the mic.

i am listening with an ipod touch.

my music is mostly trance with some hip hop and on an odd day, some alternative like nick cave, the cure, depeche mode... that lot

Feb 26, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jws919 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sitting in the lounge of my master's program, I'm listening to my SA6s. Someone taps me on the shoulder, I pull them out of my ear the same way I've done since July. I go to put them back in, and the right one has the chrome part stripped off, and the tube where you insert the treble ports has shattered. So confused as to how that could have happened, and very unhappy.

So, judging by my last unpleasant customer service experience with Sleek-Audio, I'm assuming I'm not going to get the unit replaced. I loved the sound and comfort of the SA6, so anyone with suggestions, I'm listening. I listen to a wide variety of music: Punk, Metal, Metalcore, Hip Hop, Electronic, Classic Rock, Trance, Ambient Instrumental, Acoustic, etc etc. Basically, everything except country. I'm tall, and felt the SA6's cord was a bit short to be in my pocket and wear comfortably (usually had to go in my coat breast pocket).

Driving the iem will be my iphone 3g, my macbook, a dell xps laptop, an 80gb ipod, and other small electronics. I do not amp, nor will I.

Any thoughts on the iems made for iphone with the mic in-line? maybe kill two birds with one stone...

Thanks for suggestions.

Are they still under warranty? If so, why won't they replace them? I understand, though, since I had the Sleeks and went through two sets of drivers before I sold them. I would insist they replace them, since they have a two-year warrant. Has their customer service fallen off, they used to be great?

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they still under warranty? If so, why won't they replace them? I understand, though, since I had the Sleeks and went through two sets of drivers before I sold them. I would insist they replace them, since they have a two-year warrant. Has their customer service fallen off, they used to be great?

Yeah, I emailed them,but am not expecting an easy go of it.

They refused to replace a defective Y cable until I complained a bit.

I have a trip to LA next week and don't want to be without earphones for the 11 hours each way I'll be traveling, so I want to order something tonight. I found some UM3's for 300ish unless anyone else has suggestions!

Edit:

apparently they're not called UM3 but just 3...interesting.

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #5 of 13
Yeah, Westone 3s. I have them too. Did you look at the Phonaks too? $150 and a great value in sound for the price, though I like them best with an amp. Read up on the Westones. I do like them, but some people find them harsh and have sold them off. I just started getting into them, but sometimes the highs do bite a little.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Westone 3s. I have them too. Did you look at the Phonaks too? $150 and a great value in sound for the price, though I like them best with an amp. Read up on the Westones. I do like them, but some people find them harsh and have sold them off. I just started getting into them, but sometimes the highs do bite a little.

I ordered the 3s today from roaddogonline.com. 7 days to return it with no restocking fee, which is great. everything I was finding for under 300 was actually UM2s (no wonder the deal was so good!).

Do you think the Phonaks are an upgrade from the Sleeks? I like the balanced sound of the sleeks, which is why I think I'll enjoy the 3s. If I don't like the 3s, the phonaks have the in-line mic which is a good option for the iphone!

Thanks for input all.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 13
From memory, I do prefer the Phonak sound over the SA6s, but to me, the PFEs sound best when hooked up to an amp (in fact, their detail and clarity, plus clean, accurate bass, is simply fantastic with the iBasso T4). But, the best DAP they work with is my Touch 2G (ampless that is) so they also are a good match for the iPhone 3G, without an amp.

Interested to see how you like the Westone 3s. As I said, some very good upsides, but unless you get the perfect fit/tip, some downsides too. I like them, but it took me two months to get the right tip combo for my ears, and tried everything but the UM56 custom sleeves.

Feb 27, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 13
First, I would like to say I find this thread unfair. I received the email of your complaint just after 6:00pm on Wednesday. On Thursday at 9:29 I replied that we will of course replace it. We provide a 2 year warranty and cover everything.

I have sent dozens of units to people who say that it was lost in the mail, even though we only lost a few packages over the last 20 years as a hearing aid company. If someone needs a replacement cable we normally send 2 as a gesture of appreciation. We even honored warranties for people that we knew received their product either free from processing errors or though illegal credit card purchases.

Second, my question is once you knew we would fix it why did you not correct the thread? I am not asking for total absolution, merely updating what you started.

Of every unit we have ever shipped our return rate including repairs is less than 5%. Of course things break, but in an industry of 30% failures we have accomplished a lot and we attribute this to being very pro-active on improving on our products and honoring our warranties.

Understand, those who are happy often do not post we only seem hear the negative. We care very much about our product and company, we also care deeply for the Head-fi community. We only ask to be treated with the same respect.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 13
A very fair request, and the OP started off on the wrong foot by saying he expected trouble. That's why I posted what I did initially, because it sounded way out of character for Sleek, which does offer a two-year warranty and has always delivered world-class customer service. Of course, I had no idea of your efforts behind the scenes. So sorry for posting without knowing all the facts.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have sent dozens of units to people who say that it was lost in the mail, even though we only lost a few packages over the last 20 years as a hearing aid company. If someone needs a replacement cable we normally send 2 as a gesture of appreciation.
We even honored warranties for people that we knew received their product either free from processing errors or though illegal credit card purchases.

Jason, you've gone way above and beyond the call of duty. As if it's not bad enough that you had to suffer the credit card fraud scandal, you've had Head-Fi'ers, people you trusted, who got the SA6 'free', through a technical error, and who then had the cheek to send them in to be fixed under 'warranty' when they hadn't even paid for them
confused_face_2.gif

I would at least hope that anyone who did this didn't sell them on to any other unsuspecting Head- Fi'ers, knowing they would have no warranty. Maybe anyone who buys them used should ask for the original invoice details, unless the invoice was issued before the error was found?? Still, it wouldn't hurt other Head-Fi'ers to show a little caution under the circumstances.

Quote:

We care very much about our product and company,
we also care deeply for the Head-fi community.
We only ask to be treated with the same respect.

Yes. It's obvious to everyone that you care. Teething problems occur all the time, and you've had a very unlucky start. But mistakes are there to be learned from, and I'm sure that your dedication and loyalty towards your customers will pay off in the end. And I wish you all the success for the future.

P.S. Yes, I did pay for my SA6
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

First, I would like to say I find this thread unfair. I received the email of your complaint just after 6:00pm on Wednesday. On Thursday at 9:29 I replied that we will of course replace it. We provide a 2 year warranty and cover everything.

I have sent dozens of units to people who say that it was lost in the mail, even though we only lost a few packages over the last 20 years as a hearing aid company. If someone needs a replacement cable we normally send 2 as a gesture of appreciation. We even honored warranties for people that we knew received their product either free from processing errors or though illegal credit card purchases.

Second, my question is once you knew we would fix it why did you not correct the thread? I am not asking for total absolution, merely updating what you started.

Of every unit we have ever shipped our return rate including repairs is less than 5%. Of course things break, but in an industry of 30% failures we have accomplished a lot and we attribute this to being very pro-active on improving on our products and honoring our warranties.

Understand, those who are happy often do not post we only seem hear the negative. We care very much about our product and company, we also care deeply for the Head-fi community. We only ask to be treated with the same respect.

Extremely fair assessment, Jason. I should have corrected, but forgot to in the forum. For the record, Jason replied very promptly and will be sending me a replacement. I will edit, and thanks Jason for making this go more smoothly than a previous run.

Feb 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

so far, in my dealings with sleek, i have received prompt replies to my emails and even good natured long telephone calls. i know they stand behind their products fully. every product has weaknesses and the sa6 is like every product.

they do however seem to have a somewhat flimsy chassis that would be great if it was better strengthened but for customer service, i have only heard good things. i am very excited as for what is to come from them... all the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back