So my karma is broken
Mar 18, 2005 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fappar

100+ Head-Fier
And it has been broken for a long time. It was broken before, and I used the infamous "bash it against somethign real hard" method, which actually worked. Too bad it just died again shortly thereafter, never to return...

So what can I do? can I send it somewhere to be repaired? it is no longer under any warentee, so I am pretty lost.

Thanks

Mar 18, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Bashing a HDD against your hand or wall or whatever is just plain stupid...
Alot of these problems can be sorted out by resetting the drive and reformatting it when it happens (never happened to me, just getting this from a former RIO engineer)...
If it can only be sorted by "bashing" it, it's time to send it back immediately...

LIP

Mar 18, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Bashing our DELL pcs in the library always helps.
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lip
Alot of these problems can be sorted out by resetting the drive and reformatting it when it happens (never happened to me, just getting this from a former RIO engineer)...

For reference, the advice in question is here (and he's a current Rio engineer):
Quote:

If your player will play any music, or on paperclip-reset will start up as far as the main player screen (with the progress line), or will obey any button press beyond the power button (plus menu to enter recovery mode), then it is not experiencing hard disk failure or stiction.

If it is continually restarting, then it is not experiencing hard disk failure or stiction. (Units with failed hard disks freeze, they don't restart.) A starting or restarting unit will be accessing its disk, which makes that a particularly bad time to hit it!

If you can get to the main player screen, or bring menus up, or play music, but something else is going wrong, then the first recourse should be to the Settings->Troubleshooting menu and "Rebuild database". If that doesn't solve the problem (which is sometimes the case with bookmarks, which aren't part of the database and won't be helped), or if you can't get to that menu (perhaps because of spontaneous rebooting) then reinstall the firmware, ticking the reformat option.

Only if reinstalling the firmware fails, or recovery mode says no disk is found, is there likely to be a hard disk failure or stiction problem.

Apr 8, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Just a personal comment on the matter of products that are designed to be obsolete or have no real service program. IMO I think manufacturers do themselves a disservice and loose business to potential returning customer, because they don't provide a service program. Customersa rarely come back to the same manufacturer for a replacement purchase if they don't provide service. Just like a microwave oven, it breaks, throw it away, buy a Sharp, that breaks, buy a Panasonic, then a Kenmore, GE, etc. etc.

If you can find a repair source, great and good luck, otherwise throw it in the trash and move on.

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 10
Rio have aparantly been alright with fixing broken karmas that have been slightly out of date, so you could say you got it for Christmas, or valentines day or something, and hope for the best
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back