So my HD590's right speaker died, DIY fix possible?
Jul 18, 2005 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Alereon

Head-Fier
I was just sitting here listening to music when suddenly the right speaker in my Sennheiser HD590 stopped making any sound. I verified that it wasn't my source or cable by muting the left channel and wiggling the jack in and out of the headphones, I can hear the right channel through the left speaker when the appropriate half-inserted contact is made. I opened both cans up to take a look, and discovered that one of the plastic clips had broken in the right can and the driver was floating free
frown.gif
However, the wires still appeared to be securely attached. I checked in both cans, I see no loose or broken connections anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas on where the fault may lie so I can try to fix it myself? The headphones are indeed out of warranty, and I know that actually paying for Sennheiser to fix them would not at all be worth it.

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, I finally found the point of failure. One of the hair-thin (literally) wires on the driver running from the solderpoints into the driver broke off at the solderpoint. I guess my only chance for repair would be to try to just stuff it back on the solderpoint and glom a comparably massive blob of solder right on top. Anyone know if this will work, given that the wire appears to be covered in some sort of insulating material?

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 3
Soldering that wire back on will in fact work. You have 2 choices on how to remove the enamel covering on the wiring. You can either scrape it away with a knife (safest way) or heat up with wire with the soldering iron and burn it away. The only reason I say the knife way is safer is because if you heat up the wire you are heating the entire thing and if it burns away somewhere in the coil you can peaty much throw it away. I have done this a bunch of times and its not that bad for me. If you do plan on heating up the wire then get a small metal clip and clip it to the wire so it will remove heat from going further on. One thing you need to be careful is don't pull on that wire whatever you do. Either way good luck and feel free to PM me if you need further help.

-Alex-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back