So my brother got kicked out of the house. How's your day been?
Dec 22, 2007 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

goldenratiophi

Headphoneus Supremus
As you might expect, bi-polar teenager + mom who must win every argument just don't mix. So after a long, shouty, petty argument (climaxing with him throwing and breaking his cellphone) about something not even worth wasting words on, I guess she finally had the last straw and kicked him out. Now there are a lot of times I think "that kid needs pwn'd" but I think this is way harsh, especially since he's gone with no meds, no money, no backup living space planned, almost no job (Wendy's for about 5 hours a week), and no car until he emptied his savings account on buying mom's old car this morning. I'm really really worried about him..... somebody cheer me up.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 51
I think you should tell your Mom how harsh she is being and lobby to have your brother brought back into the house. Why would a parent kick a kid out of the house when he's bipolar? I have a son with special needs and would never dream of doing that no matter how bad it gets. I myself was kicked out of my house at 16 but that was because my father was a grade A prick. I've been on my own ever since. I'm sorry for the strong language, but I think your Mom is completely wrong for doing what she did.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 51
Why don't you give your bro a call and talk to...er, maybe not...but seriously, you need to find him and slap him around and tell him to respect mom...and after all, it's Christmas, time for families to show love.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let him grow up on the streets or in the service and he will learn how to be a man, fast. It's a tough world. Think positive.

Absolutely terrible and poor advice, especially the part about joining the service.

Talk to your mom and get her level headed again. She will see the wrong in her ways.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #6 of 51
Raising kids is a lesson in patience. So I can probably understand where your mum is coming from. But he should be with you guys. Talk to your mum. She will regret this in the long term otherwise. I lost a sibling and my parents have been shattered ever since, now 25 years ago.

Hope your day gets better.

Simon

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Let him grow up on the streets or in the service and he will learn how to be a man, fast. It's a tough world. Think positive.

This is what I did as I had no other place to go. You're right...it did make a man out of me sooner, however, I despised my father up till the day he died...ALONE!

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

If only it were that simple, we'd already live in a much better world.

--Chris

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 51
Bi-polar shouting matching are tough.

I had a (bp)friend who got into with his dad. His parents are social workers and have the 'i know what's best for you' attitude, being psychologists and all.

Sorry to hear that it had to end that way, but maybe some time to chill is just what he needs.

Maybe Christmas will bring everyone together, like a good movie.
(Most Christmas movies involve a lot of family feud with a sweet ending anyway)

If it's possible, talk to your mom about what happened and try to stitch things together. (I don't have much hope for my own family, but maybe things work out for some?)

And try to find roundabout ways of supporting your brother so he at least stays alive with some decent sort of happiness. bipolar sans meds, homeless is not a good situation.

good luck to you.

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 51
Any trying to talk to her just ends in "he just needs to learn his lesson." Thankfully grandma is coming down tomorrow, so that might help. This sort of stuff happens every Christmas break. Great timing, eh?

Thanks for all the advice so far. Joining the service won't work; he's already in college (and doing quite well actually)

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let her listen to some of your music to release the tension. Note, this method only works with the right music.

Like, not Sea Change or Closer
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She kicked out a sick kid without any meds?

What a cold...(Fill in the blank.)

It's not that she denied him his meds, it's just that he forgot to take them (he was in a rush to get to get to work for a few hours). He'll probably be back tonight once he realizes he forgot them, and mom will probably give him them (nobody's that cruel). I'm just worried if he forgets.

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #14 of 51
man that sucks, wish i could send you this batch of widow i just came in contact with... hopefully you can help your brother out... sneak him in at night etc.... because i know my brother would do it for me.

Dec 22, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #15 of 51
if he got kicked out, I'm guessing he's at age of majority.
that's her right. you mentioned he's in college.
I used to think I hated my old man till I heard how much my siblings hated him.
and, I had the most reason to hate him. guess I don't hate him that much and
don't blame him for my shortcomings.
another reason why I kinda hate the Holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back