So my 1212m has been living under my bed for more than a year...
Oct 11, 2005 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
I think it's time to get it out again. I suspect there have been many driver releases since my first attempts back in 06/2004, and my ears are getting sick of listening to music from my Audgy 2.

If you're interested in all the adventures I had with my last attempts check out:

http://www.productionforums.com/view...&postorder=asc
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=75565

My goal, is to have the EMU1212m (for music) working along side my Audigy 2 (for gaming/ventrilo). Last time I had many problems - quite a few I suspected to be down the sharing of driver files.

Since my last attempts, I now have a different motherboard, so I'm hoping I may have better chances than previously. And maybe the drivers no longer share the same names and destinations as the Audigy 2 (maybe someone could confirm???).

I was wondering if fellow head-fiers out there might have any recommendations for my second bout with these two cards. Any help would be appreciated.

Now I have to get my fingers ready to feel like tenderised meat after I pull and re-insert cards to and from PCI slots all day.

Oct 12, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Ive been having similar trouble with my onboard live24 and a 0404 but i havnt really tryed hard to fix it yet. . . waiting for oblivion

Oct 12, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
I thought the "normal" solution would be to install the audigy 2's drivers first, then _DO NOT OVERWRITE_ when installing the emu's drivers.

You would think so. But the emu card can't use audigy 2 drivers, but the drivers live in the same place with the same name
confused.gif
. At least they did with the drivers on my CD - maybe it's changed in the newer driver releases - can anybody confirm?

Oct 12, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

I thought the "normal" solution would be to install the audigy 2's drivers first, then _DO NOT OVERWRITE_ when installing the emu's drivers.

Thats how I install my EMU0404 after I have my Audigy 2 ZS installed I install the EMU card and have for over a year now with no problems.

-Alex-

Oct 12, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Almost makes you want to make a dedicated music PC, eh?

Oh wait.......

evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Lol, tell me about it. What I'm considering.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 16
I use an E-Mu 1212M by itself when playing games like Far Cry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, World of Warcraft, etc. in 1920x1200 resolution...often while listening simultaneously to music (FLAC files, output to ASIO) in Foobar2000. Why bother with the Audigy2 at all?

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

ASIO does block out all other sounds, correct? Gaming sounds do matter to most of us =P

you don't have to run it through asio. Just switch it to WAV and you're good to go. Get all the audio glory your windows PC can produce.

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
I use an E-Mu 1212M by itself when playing games like Far Cry, Doom 3, Unreal Tournament, World of Warcraft, etc. in 1920x1200 resolution...often while listening simultaneously to music (FLAC files, output to ASIO) in Foobar2000. Why bother with the Audigy2 at all?

I agree, I have never felt like i was missing anything with my 1212m for all the gaming I do. Audigy is just a pain, not worth the hassle unless you want multichannel support.

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 16
If you're really concerned install one and benchmark it (maybe test out games, too) and then completely uninstall it and try the other. If there is a difference its probably like 1 fps.

OTOH, the new cards with x-ram (assuming programmers take advantage of it) could make a big difference, like maybe 10fps... this is just wild conjecture of course...

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #15 of 16
Hmmm, I always thought the "pro" cards wouldn't be able to game, due to the lack of EAX support and stuff like that rather than the loss of a few fps (10 at most though, lol, like anyone could tell the diff :3) How did you like the positioning the emu 1212m gave you in games, especially when using headphones? My AV-710's positioning was plainly bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back