So many DACs to choose from (100-300$)
Nov 1, 2006 at 1:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
There are just so many DACs with so little reviews to choose from. And I don't really want to mod any of them. I have a x-fi > glite > k701 and I'm aiming for detail and clarity. Here is the list of DACs Ive read of so far:
zhaolu 2.5
citypulse
lite dac
entech nc

and I know theres a lot I forgot to mention. I am leaning towards a zhaolu 2.5 or a citypulse but just need more reviews on them.

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tungsten
You are missing the most important DAC of all. The HeadRoom Micro DAC.

I use it with my K701's in conjunction with the HeadRoom Micro AMP (desktop module).

You will get detail and clarity plus outlandish holographic sound potential from certain excellently recorded/mixed/masterd CD's. The Micro DAC - AMP are American made devices. Check them out!

American made doesn't mean they are better made then UK/Asian DACS..

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 10
I was not very impressed with the Lite DAC-AH. I detected noise on this unit, especially when I turned the volume up. I found the DAC in my Music Hall CD25.2 to be superior.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 10
I kinda dislike the look of the microdac(even though I shouldnt be basing my pick on aesthetics). But if it's as good or better than a zhaulo, Ill think about getting it.

Nov 1, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
I was not very impressed with the Lite DAC-AH. I detected noise on this unit, especially when I turned the volume up. I found the DAC in my Music Hall CD25.2 to be superior.

Check the thread in this forum about the circuit error in the DAC-AH.

Nov 2, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 10
I sent the DAC-AH back to its US distributor, and the representative (who treated me quite well), said he found no fault with the unit. Thus, there was apparently no "circuit error"...however, I am certain I heard noise.

In reality, are there really that many viable choices in this category? I imagine the parts quality, build quality, and designs are very similar in this price range. If I were in the $100-$300 category, I would buy an NAD 521-BEE ($299, list)...or perhaps the Cambridge Audio DVD-87 (a universal player, $269 at AA).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back