So many Custom IEM's available
Jun 18, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

speakerhead

Head-Fier
A few years ago I only knew of one custom IEM maker UE.

Now by my count we have at least three

UE
FreQ
Livewires

Are UE's still worth the 4x price premium the command over the top of the line FreQ's?

Are there other custom IEM makers I should look into before making a decision?

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 21
Yes. Westone also makes top quality custom IEM's. The ES1 (single driver), ES2 (dual driver), and ES3 (triple driver). The ES3 isn't recommended as it's made primarily for vocalists and the midrange is very bumped up. From what I've seen here on Head-Fi, Westone has a much lower re-fit rate than UE; though I'm not sure how they would compare to LiveWires and FreQ. I've had my ES2's going on 2 years and never had a problem.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 21
im sure there are more. only recently, there was a thread on here about some from uk. but, although i believe that the ue 11 will be better than the freq, i dont think it would justify the 4 times the price. but then thats just me, and i haven't heard any of them.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 21
Freq's seem cheap to me.. Livewires are in the middle.. UEs tend to look professional..

I've always wanted a custom set but UE is expensive! I'm probably going to try livewires sometime unless I discover that freq's are actually good

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 21
hmm, how can you say that they look cheap quality. the customs look the same to me, and freq's website is much better. if anything, i would say that the freq look better.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by majikstreet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Freq's seem cheap to me.. Livewires are in the middle.. UEs tend to look professional..

I've always wanted a custom set but UE is expensive! I'm probably going to try livewires sometime unless I discover that freq's are actually good

Check out some of the updated pics and reviews, you may be surprised....

Jun 18, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 21
Jun 18, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 21
Sensaphonics makes customs, and there is one other that the name is escaping me
confused.gif

The one I can't recall has a new model coming out that everyone is waiting for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back