So many choices, so little money...
Aug 30, 2004 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Judge Crandall

100+ Head-Fier
I just got some ety 4Ps and I'm loving them so far. However, I want to get full-sized cans as well. Mostly because the ety's just isolate too much sometimes, which can be inconvenient. It'd also be nice to have phones that other people can listen to without getting their earwax all over them.
eek.gif
At first, I was thinking about the sr60 or the ms1. But I don't exactly have a lot of spare money (going to college and all), so I'd like to get the nicest set of phones possible, and avoid getting upgrading for a very long time. I just saw the group buy for the ms2's, and now I'm thinking about getting those...(my wallet seemed much thicker before I discovered head-fi...
biggrin.gif
). I listen to all types of music and prefer a balanced sound, though I would imagine full sized cans would give more bass than the etys. Also, comfort is somewhat important. I'll listen to everything through a 4g iPod, unamped (though I plan on getting an amp...eventually
rolleyes.gif
). Any advice, about the aforementioned phones, or any other phones would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

the Judge
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 5
If you want a sound similar to the er4, get beyer dt880s. Can be found used for around $200 or less.

Edit: Scratch that, you really need a good source and amp to make thse sound good. Sorry

Aug 30, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 5
I would say you're probably looking at some Grado's, and I wouldn't necessarily discount getting some second hand. I bought some RS-1's off here and although I think I preferred my HD-650s for most music, I found the Grado's to be pretty darn good with some things.

A friend of mine bought some RS-60s whilst he was at University and thoroughly enjoyed them, particularly since he was using them from a rather poor source un-amped. From what I've read the Grado's perform very well unamped but are ready to go once you do get an amp.

As I said, keep an eye on the for-sales and consider getting some second hand where you don't stand to lose too much if you dislike them (and they'll be much better value in the first place).

Aug 30, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 5
the MS1's are a great bang for the buck and at $99 shipped, you can't go wrong especially if you're on a budget. i'm quite satisfied with mine but just have to avoid the upgrado temptation. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back