So Many Choices, So Little Money, Looking for IEM for trance/electronic music (SUB $100)
Sep 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ElectronicLover

New Head-Fier
Well starting into this, I love trance music (Anjunabeats, Anjunadeep, Mat Zo, etc.) and other electronic musicians like (deadMau5, Benny Benassi). I even listen to experimental like Flying Lotus and musicians of his nature. I don't like rap too much, neither do I like rock or country or any genre with an actual instrument. After researching for about a day or two, I really can't find anything to suit these needs, as many say that x is better than y,   but only if you listen to rock or acoustic music or something like that. I compiled a wish list  of the ones that I was comparing below:

Shure SE215
Velodyne Vpulse
Vsonic GR06
Audio Technica ATH-CKM500
Etymotic ER7
Logitech UE 600
MEElectronics A151
(Your Suggestions as well)

Of course I will accept any other recommendation, but with good reasons please. The headphones above and any suggestion need to also be very durable. Owning a pair of Klipsch Image s4 ii, I am now paranoid that it will break since I traded mine in at least 4 times for new ones, after the old ones broke. And the first broken pair were within 19 days of purchase. I didn't do much with them either, no exercise at all, and it surprises me that my Panasonic HJE120s lasted so much longer than them and around 10 times less expensive. Don't get me wrong, they sounded great, but the shoddy building is not really something I want to deal with.

I won't exercise with them (I have my HJE120 for that), but I will occasionally sleep with them. I also will put them in my pockets, and because I like skinnier pants than most, they tend to have a smaller pocket, and thus put strain. For that matter I do not want to purchase the S4 Rugged because I have no use for the controls as I switched to a Galaxy S4 recently. Oval headphones are also my favourite type, and I must recommend anyone the HJE120s for that. A similar fitting would be nice.

To reiterate: A IEM with  good sound (for trance/electronic/experimental), no inline controls (perhaps if android compatible, but I really don't care because I tend to switch manufacturers), and most importantly a solid build that can withstand at more than just sleeping with them. Also a warranty would be nice, one that is good. Finally I wish to buy on amazon, as I have around 100 or more in credit.

PS. Heres a list of the current prices of the ones above sorted by price.
Amazon List

Thank you for your time

Pss I live in the US if that helps narrow it down

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 11
Sep 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 11

+1

This is a good list to use. :)

Probably want ones with some good bass extension. EDM often has sub bass output that other popular genres don't. But other than that, I think it's hard to qualify one type of headphone as better than another for EDM. It really depends on what you like as an individual in sound signature more so than what's best for the genre.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 11
I actually did check that list, but I really don't know what is good for edm. I guess something that can produce good lows, but the high and mid I assume must be good because of vocals and rising sound

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 11
If you want a great iem for trance/electronic i suggest adding 20$ more and getting the xb90ex by sony. These have massive sub bass presence unparalleled to any other iem out there, and they have very nice mids and highs. Non fatiguing. These are coming from someone who listens to Ajunabeats/Above&Beyond/Mat Zo/ATB/Deadmau5/Andrew Bayer/Ferry Corsten. Amazing iems for the money. Honestly nothing else beats it for bass in this price range. You would have to spend 200+ to get better bass and o/a sound quality together. Its an audiophile/basshead dream

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 11
If you want a great iem for trance/electronic i suggest adding 20$ more and getting the xb90ex by sony. These have massive sub bass presence unparalleled to any other iem out there, and they have very nice mids and highs. Non fatiguing. These are coming from someone who listens to Ajunabeats/Above&Beyond/Mat Zo/ATB/Deadmau5/Andrew Bayer/Ferry Corsten. Amazing iems for the money. Honestly nothing else beats it for bass in this price range. You would have to spend 200+ to get better bass and o/a sound quality together. Its an audiophile/basshead dream
I'll have to look for this one then, but how is the durability of it and is there any warranty

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 11
I actually did check that list, but I really don't know what is good for edm. I guess something that can produce good lows, but the high and mid I assume must be good because of vocals and rising sound

Well, and good mids and highs are important for a lot of genres. That's why I said that your individual tastes are probably more important than whether or not someone else thinks a specific pair of IEMs are good for EDM. For instance, I listen to EDM quite a bit, and you and I might like an entirely different pair of phones :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 11
Durability is very good.i know people who bought this when it was released in 2010 and all are goin very strong. Its quite well built. Theonly major downsides to these would probably be somewhat evident microphonics due to harder cable, and minor fitment issues as these iems have quite large 16mm to pump out all that bass.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Durability is very good.i know people who bought this when it was released in 2010 and all are goin very strong. Its quite well built. Theonly major downsides to these would probably be somewhat evident microphonics due to harder cable, and minor fitment issues as these iems have quite large 16mm to pump out all that bass.

Because my family is indian, after doing some research on the sony site i found that those that you mentioned were only rs 3,990 which is around $63. I think I will purchase them, but it will take a while to get here, with some family members of course. Thanks for recommending them to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back