So, like this one time, at a Head-fi meet, I broke a Senn HD-800 cable...
Jun 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

pabbi1

Cavalli Audio Spiritual Advisor
Knocked a pair of HD800 off a table, about 30" to a carpeted floor, and it separated the plastic / molded rubber / heatshrink / plastic from the metal ODU connector. Both sides look to be flush surfaces, but the same diameter, so I just can't figure out how this was attached, much less how to set it right.

None of the connections was damaged, and it is currently (temporarily) held together with electrical tape, while a replacement unit is inbound. I have seen a few vague references to similar issues in a site search, but no pics and no remedies.

Of course, Senn just says to replace the cable, and will NOT repair it for any price. I was just shocked that they would have no real resolution, other than a $165 replacement part. Ok, not shocked...

Preposterous, but is what it is. Anyone have a solution, or just want to pile on?

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 13
They were not mine, and I don't have them... were that I could. Maybe by the weekend.

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 13
Wow they want $165 for a new cable??

Jun 13, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 13
Why does the HD800 cable cost $165 while the HD650 cable costs like $12 from B&H?

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 13
I am not totally clear on which part you are describing - the metal sleeve that goes into the headphones?
If that is it I have the feeling Senn glued the part you are describing together. TTBMK nobody has managed to take one apart to build a new cable. 
On that note, you can buy aftermarket connectors. 

Quote:
Why does the HD800 cable cost $165 while the HD650 cable costs like $12 from B&H?

Best price I could find for an HD650 cable is like $25. 

The HD800 cable has metal ends. 3 in fact. 
The HD800 cable has a woven sleeve over the dual twisted pair wires inside. 
The HD800 cable makes the HD650 cable look and feel like a toy. 

[mocks cable guys]I can tell you with absolute certainty that the cables do sound different. My cable charlatan buddies all assure me that the cable is the most significant part of the system. They seem pretty confident in their statements there so by following it to the logical conclusion we see that the actual drivers are insignificant. Accordingly a meaningful test can be performed without modifying either cable to fit the same headphone. I have owned (and listened to!) an HD580, 600, 650 and do currently own an HD800. The HD800 is better. Period.[/mockery over (for now)]

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 13
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601967-REG/Sennheiser_092885_092885_Headphone_Cable_for.html

I do admit though, the stock HD800 cable does make the HD650 cable look like a toy in comparison.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 13
I think it was glued in or only held in by the molded strain relief. The aftermarket connectors have a piece that screws on to hold the assembly in the body.

If you are able to line the pins up properly, some glue might work to fix it. Otherwise reterminating might be the only option.

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Yeah, scheduling conflicts have pushed the pics off until next weekend. With better data, this will be a whole lot easier to discuss.

Jul 8, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 13
Ok, here we go... and it does (kinda) look like this is a glued part, but the joint has zero structural integrity. Amazing Senn refuses to reglue this, and it is a $170 penalty to buy another.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Ok, here we go... and it does (kinda) look like this is a glued part, but the joint has zero structural integrity. Amazing Senn refuses to reglue this, and it is a $170 penalty to buy another.

Surprisingly unsecured connection.  I think the best bet, provided the pins and wires are still secure is to use some glue shrink to rejoin the two pieces and secure it.  I can mail you some if you want to try that option.  PM me if interested.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 13
What's on the inside of the metal barrel?  Is there some plastic/metal sleeve that snapped off?  Otherwise I can only think there's some sort of "press fit" thing happening.

I would use contact cement and heatshrink it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back