So Just Why Do Brits Play All the Bad Guys in Hollywood Films?
Aug 10, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by mbriant
I think a good, old fashioned paper wrapped English order of fish and chips makes up for a lot of bad cooking.

unfortunately that is an almost dead 'tradition'...

...It is now deemed unhealthy to have the food wrapped that way... even though the paper adds something to the taste
frown.gif

(that may sound wacko, but don't knock it until you try it
wink.gif
)

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #32 of 39
Of course there was always the long running joke about British cooking. "The only good cooking in England is French cooking."

Well, newspaper ink used to contain some trace amounts of nasty chemicals and over time, it wasn't exactly healthy. Oil had the tendency to leech out the ink.

Most newspapers have switched to a soy based ink which is totally biodegradable and safe to eat but the stigma is there and it's not easy to convince people otherwise.

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #33 of 39
It's simply the accent. As others have said, it implies a certain intelligence. But Americans aren't the only ones fascinated with accents. Look at "The Lord of the Rings". Peter Jackson gives the wizards and elves lovely lilting educated British accents; the hobbits slightly less sophisticated ones and the ORCS SPEAK PURE COCKNEY! I got such a laugh out of that. Good to know even Aussie love a good cliche! And the British accent is something of a cliche, isn't it? Not doubt its inflections as lovingly tended by those who subscribe to its subtext of class as the denizens of the Bronx love the gutteral furor suggest by their particualr patoire. Whatever. I grew up in 8 different states. I'm an accent-free mutt, myself.

BTW, That Guardian article was typical Guardian rubbish. God, that newspaper we think of any crappy story to get some anti-American sentiment in. It's so pathetic.

And those cinema writers at The Guardian really ought to spend a little real time in Hollywood to see the constant lines of British actors, writers, directors and producers making the rounds at studios, dying for a shot of working in Hollywood.

The Guardian writer who said "Our cut-price actors come over and do their dirty work, as villains and baddies and psychopaths" must just be jealous that Ewan McGregor, Jude Law, Anthony Hopkins, Guy Richie, and all their BEST talent usually flees the fog and rain of London to work on the sunny shores of LA. What a charade.
redface.gif

Aug 11, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Jackangel
Because Alan Rickman was pure genius in Die Hard.

biggrin.gif

And in Quigley Down Under (playing an Aussie, though)

I think it is somewhere along the lines of what chadbang said, except I think that more American's may associate certain British accents with snobbery or arrogance which suits bad-guy roles very well. Just as a southern accent is often reserved for less-intelligent people in a movie, since most movies originate in studios in the western US where there is an almost complete lack of accents and southern accents are associated with white trash, hillbillies, or other negative stereotypes.

Overall Americans are losing regional accents due to mass media and large-scale movements of people from one part of the country to the other. For example, Arizona like many southwestern states has its own slight accent. But many people born there in the last 20 years or so, especially in the larger cities, don't have any trace of that (I don't). I have met many younger Texans, around my age, that have no accent. Same for other people I have met from all around the country.

Aug 11, 2003 at 4:49 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
Actually, Tony Bourdaine was born and raised in France. On his show, A Cook's Tour, he travels to England and Scotland, and makes very specific points about the quality of the cuisine in Great Britain.

Ah, sorry, and thanks for correcting me. I was basing my comments on certain things he said on an episode of his show commenting on the fact that he was New Yorker to the bone. Well, that and the clearly NYC accent.
And no doubt, he travels everywhere, though I've apparently missed the shows in Scotland and other spots in the UK.

JC

Aug 11, 2003 at 5:17 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
Ah, sorry, and thanks for correcting me. I was basing my comments on certain things he said on an episode of his show commenting on the fact that he was New Yorker to the bone. Well, that and the clearly NYC accent.
And no doubt, he travels everywhere, though I've apparently missed the shows in Scotland and other spots in the UK.

JC

I'm pretty sure he moved to NYC when he was a pre-teen. He and his brother did a show where they returned to their old home in France, a small oyster fishing town. It was a pretty cool episode. You gotta see the Scotland one...it was great. Have you read any of his books? He's a great writer.

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:10 AM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
I'm pretty sure he moved to NYC when he was a pre-teen. He and his brother did a show where they returned to their old home in France, a small oyster fishing town. It was a pretty cool episode. You gotta see the Scotland one...it was great. Have you read any of his books? He's a great writer.

I will make it a point to check out his books, and I DEFINITELY want to see the Scotland show, so I will be watching the listings carefully. I loved my two weeks when I was there in 1997 for the 7ooth Anniversary of William Wallace's defeat of the Northern English army.

JC

Aug 12, 2003 at 5:30 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
I will make it a point to check out his books, and I DEFINITELY want to see the Scotland show, so I will be watching the listings carefully. I loved my two weeks when I was there in 1997 for the 7ooth Anniversary of William Wallace's defeat of the Northern English army.

JC

Lucky you. I want to go over their so bad. My wife, son, and I are making plans to go over in a couple of years. I want to do about three weeks. Hit some areas in England, then up to Scotland for a week, and probably over to Norway to see my wife's family. In the meantime, I have to settle for the next best thing, so I'm heading up to Nova Scotia next spring to hit the Highlands National Park.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back