So, it sounds like the HD650s are a worthwhile improvement. True?
Jan 16, 2004 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Budrew

Head-Fier
I've read enough to consider an actual purchase of the HD650s. People seem to think they are a good improvement over the HD600s. But I thought I would take one last poll. They will be used with Equinox cables. Any second opinions appreciated.

Jan 16, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 3
The HD650 sounds awesome. It's a more hard-hitting, smoother, more neutral sounding headphone than the HD600, preserving its greatest qualities - balanced, reasonable sonic presentation and incredible detail.

I spent two hours listening to the HD650s with a blockhead and meridian 588 today. These headphones definitely have some potential, and when driven by a monster amp you get speaker-like imaging and one heck of a good soundstage.

The HD650s are real keepers. They sound better even on relatively poor equipment, but as always, if they disappoint, make sure you aren't outclassing your CDP and amp with the senn phones!

Cheers,
Geek

Jan 16, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 3
The HD650 has addressed most every criticism of the HD600, and some that people didn't criticise were improved. I could not go back to a HD600 now, even a short listen shows the improvements.

They are unfailingly musical without being euphonically soft, and they are comfortable. I got a Grado extension cord so I can listen from my favorite chair, using a Perreaux SXH1. In my office, I use an M-Audio Firewire 410 and Grado SR125 or Monsoon model 1000s with my Powerbook and iTunes. ;^) Not nearly as good, but it is more background music there.

I have a great speaker system, but after my wife goes to bed (or on hot summer days), I'll enjoy the HD650s and never regret a moment of it.

Head-Fi - Sennheiser HD650 Opening Thoughts
Head-Fi - Great prices on HD650
Head-Fi - AudioAdvisor will match HD650 price $339
Sennheiser cables at Bay Area Meet
Review: Stefan AudioArt Equinox HD_600/580 Headphone Replacement Cable
Head-Fi - HD600 cables: Clou, Equinox, Cardas
Head-Fi - HD650, HD600, RS-1 with Headroom loaner amps
Head-Fi - HD650 comments re: Cardas & other cables
Head-Fi - Sennheiser HD600/580 replacement cable comparison/impressions (Dial-up warning)
Head-Fi - Reason for differing perceptions of Sennheiser HD600 and HD650s
Head-Fi - HD650's have arrived!
Head-Fi - HD600 cables: Clou, Equinox, Cardas
Head-Fi - ZU MOBIUS cable for Sennheiser -- Review after completion of burn-in
Head-Fi - HD650s. . . .OMG. . . terr. . .
Head-Fi - A short comparison of the HD650, HD600, DT880, and DT931
Head-Fi - One Week With The Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back